Thread: Leveling (2003)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Leveling (2003)

When leveling, I have found that Project has some trouble allocating resources for only the time allotted that a resource should be per day. I basically put multiple projects on top of each other by priority using the same resources. I then level the consolidated projects with a "priority, standard" order and have tried every basis: "minute by minute", "hour by hour", and "day by day". The problems arise with recurring fixed duration tasks, meetings, and when one task stops and another starts using the same resources, the tasks overlap over allocating the resource. In some cases with the fixed duration tasks, a resource is over allocated by exactly the length of the fixed duration task. Sometimes, if i change the units used on the task less than 100%, Project sometimes allocates the resource fine with the duration of the recurring task still fixed. Even If i do that to every fixed duration task, it does not always work. When task with similar resources are leveled, the resource is sometimes allocated at 200% when this constraint was not allowed. I do not understand why Project cannot spread tasks out enough so they do not overlap. I have done this manually, but sometimes I end up pushing tasks back way too far than what I think they should be. I would appreciate it if anybody has any ideas.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Leveling (2003)

For your recurring tasks did you assign your resources to the Recurring summary task, or the details? I
    f you assigned them to the Recurring Summary tasks this may be the problem. Expand the Recurring task and assign your resources to the detail tasks below.

Carla

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Leveling (2003)

Weldmaster,

This may not be what you are asking for, but do you have the box checked for "Level only within slack" in the Resource Leveling window? If so, you can try unchecking this option, if this does not violate your preferred method for leveling.
    Don Liebman
    San Diego, CA 92115