New Lounger
    Thanks

Contacts Categories lost in Outlook. (2002, sp3)

Problem: my boss had all her contacts specifically categorized. When she tried to transfer them to her new Treo phone, she lost her categories in Outlook. We have no idea how or why this happened. Any way of getting them back? For example: under the category of "House," which refers to home repair contacts, she should have 120 contacts listed. But now when we do a search under "house," we get all kinds of entries that contain the word "house."

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Contacts Categories lost in Outlook. (2002, sp3)

Do those Categories show up in the Treo Contact records? Is the boss using the Palm OS Find function to locate the categories? It doesn't seem to work on my old Palm. Has she tried to locate "House" entries by filtering on the Categories drop-down arrow in the Treo Contact application? (On my Palm Contact record version, on the upper right side of the screen.)

Can you try a table View of Contacts such as Phone List, add the Categories field if it's not there, and see if the categories show in that View?

(This probably has something to do with Custom categories, but I don't yet know what.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, but we're not concerned with Treo at the moment. Nothing got downloaded to Treo. What happened was that during the attempt, somehow all the categories on the Outlook side got cleared! Any way to get them back, besides manually re-entering all the categories (4000+)?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You didn't directly answer the questions in my prior post about what is on the Treo and what is visible in an alternative Contacts View; the Treo could be a source for restoring the data, and your standard View might be filtered somehow, so Category data is present but not visible. But if

1. the Categories aren't on the Treo, and
    2. the Contacts Categories Fields are all blank in a Contacts Table View, and
    3. you don't have a backup,

I don't see a way to recover them.

If this happened as a result of an attempt to Sync, it would also be helpful to know what sync software, version and sync settings were in use.
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello JohnBF, thanks for your reply. Well, nothing's been downloaded to the Treo. The category fields in Outlook are blank. I guess what you're saying is they have to be put back in manually.

Fortunately, the boss kept a printed version of the contacts, so we can work off that.

BTW, where are the files in Outlook so we can back them up?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Data is either on the Exchange Server, or the PST file.

The Server data should be backed up by your information systems staff.

You can either manually copy the PST to back it up, or use the tool mentioned in [Post:=this post,424700]. The PST file can be placed anywhere, but by default is kept in a hidden folder so if you look for it through Windows Explorer Search, check "Search Hidden files and folders". Signature files and Rules are not in the PST file in Outlook 2002, and should be separatley backed up. Finally, important to you and your boss, Custom Categories are kept in the Registry, see <!mskb=297405>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 297405<!/mskb>, and <!mskb=310785>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 310785<!/mskb> may be of interest.
    UTC -7ąDS