New Lounger
    Thanks

help for the new one (Excel 2000)

I am new to Excel and need help. I have a worksheet with stocks- # of shares, initial price, initial cost, current price, current value and gain/loss. I need to know how to get the average of the above categories, as well as, the highest and lowest of the same categories. Also, I need to know how to get the percentage gain/loss of the total thing. Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: help for the new one (Excel 2000)

Welcome to the lounge, glad to have you here.

Most likely you can use a combination of SUMIF() and COUNTIF() functions for the averages and the MAX() and MIN functions in an array formula to get the high and low. However, it is a little tough to tell you exactly how without seeing your workbook. Any chance you could dummy up some data in a small file (less than 100k) and upload it in a reply using the "Attach a file" box at the bottom of the message edit window. Note that if you preview the message before posting, that box will be cleared in the preview window and you will need to re-enter the file specification in the preview window.
    Legare Coleman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to Woody's Lounge.

Without knowing what the worksheet looks like, I can only give general information. Let's say that initial cost is in cells D2100 (just as an example).

The formula for the average cost is =AVERAGE(D2100)
    The formula for the highest cost is =MAX(D2100)
    The formula for the lowest cost is =MIN(D2100)

You can use SUM to calculate the total cost and value. Say that they are in D105 and F105 (again, just as an example). The formula for total gain/loss is =(F105-D105)/D105. Set the number format for this cell to Percentage, with the desired number of decimal places (in Format | Cells...)

If you would like more specific help, please provide some details about the worksheet.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much. I'll have to get back with you with the data.

New Lounger
    Thanks

What you gave me is great. I will see if I can get it right. If not, I'll be back for help. Thanks.