2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

pivot tables (XP)

I've been asked to create a rather complex pivot table. I know the theory behind it, so no problems there.

What I do want to happen is that the pivot table goes across the columns with the results rather than in rows.

So for instance - Results and then 2000 - 2001 - 2002 - 2003 - 2004

I have attached a simplified version of the spreadsheet. The pivot table collects the data from all sorts of tables and this way I can check directly whether all the information is correct, as the information is in the same format.

Its kinda hard to explain, so I hope you understand

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: pivot tables (XP)

I don't think you want a pivot table here, but an outline:
    - Select B10:M10, and click the AutoSum button.
    - Click in any cell in the table, then select Data | Group and Outline | Auto Outline
    - You can now hide/show the detail rows by clicking the outline buttons on the left hand side.
    See the attached version.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outline is this instance isn't the best option. Some sheets have about 1400 rows with information. The spreadsheets are send to various departments where managers fill out their budgets. They shouldn't alter the sub-totals (protected but still).

I have to do about 150 workbooks and all have different amount of rows and totals.

So by creating a pivot table I can check by using conditional formatting if the numbers are correct and a lot faster.

Thanks anyway for your help

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The data aren't laid out correctly for what you want. They should look like this:

<table border=1><td>RCL</td><td>Period</td><td>Amount</td><td>a101</td><td align=right>04/05 </td><td align=right>10</td><td>a101</td><td align=right>05/06</td><td align=right>20</td><td>a101</td><td align=right>06/07</td><td align=right>30</td><td>a101</td><td align=right>07/08</td><td align=right>40</td><td>...</td><td align=right>...</td><td align=right>...</td></table>
    You can then easily create a pivot table the way you want. See attached. It also includes the crude macro I used to transform the data layout.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that, will show the results to my manager and hopefully this is what he wants
    Thanks again