Lounger
    Thanks

Function or Macro for Adding Non-Adj. Cells (XP (2002))

Hi, all. I've searched the forum for this particular question and have found somewhat similar questions. My limited (read non-existent) experience with VBA and macros in Excel may mean this problem is duplicative. I'm also not clear on the functions of VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP, which may be a missing piece. But, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Attached is a very truncated example of what I'm working with. The entries under each subcategory are usually 20-50 entries, and there are approx. 18 subcategories with two or three employee types. I can total the hours and the amounts. What I need to be able to do is have a forumla (macro?) that will subtotal the hours for each employee type within a subcategory. For example, B11 will autofill and update with the total "MGR." hours for that subcategory, and B12 with the "ASST." hours for that subcategory, etc. throughout the worksheet for each subcategory.

I have tried filtering the data to come up with a subotal, but that doesn't work - it just subtotals all the rows. I've also tried autofilter and cut-and-paste to another worksheet and subtotaling there. But it doesn't work either.

The layout of the original spreadsheet is pretty much the same. Occasionally, the "Rate" column will be hidden if that would affect the formula. Is it possible to do this? Thank you very much.

Brent

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Function or Macro for Adding Non-Adj. Cells (XP (2002))

Does this do what you want?
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Function or Macro for Adding Non-Adj. Cells (XP (2002))

Legare,

Thank you very much! This works perfectly and I see how the SUMIF function works across the ranges, to boot. I did not know SUMIF worked with text entries

This also helps out with several other projects that I have going on. The SUMIF function should do nicely for those, too.

The WOPR Loungers are really one great resource.

Brent