3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shading a paragraph, how? (2000)

The short version: How can I shade a paragraph so that it includes the space before and after?

The long version: I'm trying to create a heading style that includes a shaded paragraph. The problem is that when I apply the shading, it really only shades just above and below the text. I know this can be done using a table (no thanks!), but I'm quite sure there's a way to tell Word to apply the shading to all the paragraph (including spacing before and after), but can't remember how. Example: create a few paragraphs with spacing before and after of 12pts. Apply shading to one paragraph. See how it does not include the additional white space?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Shading a paragraph, how? (2000)

Have you tried Format > Borders and Shading?

In this dialog is everything you need. Make sure the shading is being applied to the Paragraph and if you need to include additional areas around the paragraph then you need to add a border (it can be the same colour as the shading) and then go into the Options on the Border tab and set the space away from the text.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's not it

I knew how to apply shading already, but the problem was to include the shading into the space above and below the paragraph.

"... if you need to include additional areas around the paragraph then you need to add a border ..."

The border idea is a good one, but it doesn't really work. When I add a border, it is treated seperately from the paragraph spacing. In other words, a 12pt above and below paragraph spacing gets larger when I add a 6pt border.

I know there's a better way, I just can't figure out what it is.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: That's not it

I would have thought you wanted the extra whitespace to avoid running the shading into the paragraphs above and below the shaded paragraphs. If the spaces before are additive can you not apply less paragraph space before. Perhaps you need a similar style for subsequent paragraphs to maintain paragraph spacing between (otherwise) same paragraph styles.

What result are you aiming at again? I can't figure out what your problem actually is.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Example

I don't have a graphics application to demonstrate what I want, but I can certainly illustrate the problem. In the image below, the first three paragraphs are set with 6pt spacing before and after. Notice how I've applied grey shading to the second paragraph. As you can see, it's just above and below the text. In the fourth paragraph I've increased the spacing before and after to 18pts. Now you can clearly see how the shading just covers the text and not the actual paragraph.

I want to create heading styles that are shaded. Without the additional elbow room, as a heading the shaded text looks wimpy at best. I need that grey extended into the entire range of the paragraph, not JUST before and after.

Does this make sense?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Re: Example

The space before and after are like a margin area that is kept clear, unless two paragraphs of the same style are adjacent, then the margin will be shaded. Blank area will be colored if it is the result of the line spacing setting (e.g., double-spaced), but this probably does not help. Can you train your users to insert manual line breaks (Shift+Enter) to create the blank lines before and after? Probably would mess up tables of contents...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Your samples didn't appear to apply the shading spacing as I suggested. Have a look at the attached doc - does this show what you are trying to do?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Jezsik,

Some possible options:
    1. Put the Heading in a shaded:
    . text box
    . table
    2. Put the ADVANCE fields coded as {ADVANCE d 18} either side of your existing shaded paragraph (change the 18 to suit)

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]