New Lounger
    Thanks

scan files for private viewing (fp2003/ms2003 etc)

i presently scan files (invoices), as .tiff, publish them to a password controlled folder on my website. (hosted by commercial hosting company), I then hyperlink these files back to excel so another person can click on the individual hyperlink from the excel sheet to view the actual invoice. the process is very cumbersome & time consuming. I have tried saving them as a .jpeg, bif etc. but invoices are not always viewable. hence .tiff appears only way I have been able to make work fairly consistently.
    again, the website is hosted by a commercial hosting company, that is why files are saved on website thru frontpage.
    I can also save as pfd and can ocr the files using omnipage 14 but not sure this is good method, or would save anything.
    Since this is not set up as an intranet, hence i have utilized frontpage since I already have a website with adequate space. The Excel spreadsheet is sent to another country via outlook as attachment.
    Is there a simpler / speedier more foolproof way to accomplish the purpose of having the invoice info viewable and available in another country? but still secure from those with no need to view info?

Thanks

Re: scan files for private viewing (fp2003/ms2003 etc)

I'm curious, why don't you email the invoices?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks

Re: scan files for private viewing (fp2003/ms2003

(1) Invoice file

You do not need OCR unless you want to create a version with editable (or copy/paste-able text).

If your correspondents/clients do not have a problem with TIFF, then it sounds as though it doesn't matter to you. However, PDF might be slightly more compact and compatible for more users.

If you use a print-to-PDF print driver when you first print your invoices, you would not have to scan the invoices before posting; you could use the PDF file both for your own records and for posting. However, if you are printing on special forms, then that option would not help you.

(2) Link container

It seems you could paste a link into an email, unless you are using the password features of Excel to protect the links.

If you need to generate a lot of these links to different clients, it might be worth automating the process (like Word's mail merge), but that would take some effort to set up.

If you don't want to have to send links every month, you could see if your web host will allow FTP access to the folder while still maintaining the password. You may have seen this, for example, when you want to download open source software from the web: you access the folder using a link like ftp://hostname/folder and you see all the files in there at once, you can click to download whichever one you want.

---

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

clarifying, sorry. I receive throughout ea. month, many invoices from many different suppliers. I need to make info in those invoices viewable and available to 1 party in another country. that info (excel spreadsheet) is updated randomly thruout ea. month. summary of ea. invoice shows on spreadsheet and hyperlink (invoice #) contains picture of that invoice stored someplace. Understand if scanned file(invoice) saved on my harddrive, that's not viewable by other party and it had to be saved to web. i tried to print screen and paste it to this so you could see. wouldn't work. this cut/paste is example
    no sure how would keep all e-mails straight if just e-mailed periodically. info can not always be acted upon by receiver immediatly . I am not sure I have viewed open source ftp's as mentioned, will try to get to that and look at as option. i know i can ftp with my host, would imagine party in other country could also.
    VENDOR prod. Amt. SrfBoards FREIGHT AMOUNT INCOME DUE DATE DATE PAID BALANCE STATUS BOX INVOICES
    abc 1000 2000 300 3300 6000 1-Dec 1-Dec 0 shipped abc98855
    def 500 15 20 10 2-Dec def0111
    hope this makes more sense as to what am trying to accomplish. chuck

Thanks

Re: scan files for private viewing (fp2003/ms2003

I think you are using the best set-up for now. If you had a budget to get some additional server-side software, I believe there are workflow systems that combine the "database" and "document" aspects of your process into a single interface on a web site. I suspect that stuff is not cheap!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Jeff; I just seemed so convoluted and time consuming in this "high-tech" century. I'm still working with 19th cent. brain.