Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge -Same field but different results (Word 2003/Excel 2003)

The letter is in Word 2003. We are using the DDE method to attach to an Excel file so that the date formatting is the same as the Excel file and no date switches are required. One Excel column is a date column. The date in this column must appear in two places on each letter - in the subject line and in the body of the letter. We merged two letters. On the first letter, the date is formatted correctly in both places. On the second letter, the date is formatted correctly only in the subject line but is displayed in a different format in its place in the body of the letter. Has anyone run into this before?

We are just getting started with Office 2003. I have one other question. 95% of our company's mail merges are done with Excel. When using the default method (OLEDB?) of attaching your data source to your main document, is there anyway to see/edit your Excel file. The DDE method will open the Excel file and you are able to toggle between your main document (Word) and your data source (Excel). With this new default method, I know the Excel file is open somewhere because if you try to open it, you get a message saying it is locked. My question is "Where is the Excel file opened and how can I get to it?" I have done hundreds of mail merges but I can't quite figure out how we are going to be able to work with this new method.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joanne

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge -Same field but different results (Word 2003/Excel 2003)

Without seeing the documents involved, it's difficult to investigate. Could you attach a copy of the problem workbook and document in a zip file? You can strip out everything not needed to illustrate the problem.

When you use OLEDB or ODBC, the Excel application isn't started. The workbook will still be locked, because it is opened invisibly by the code in those drivers. So there is no way to inspect the data other than through the Mail Merge Recipients dialog.

Lounger
    Thanks

I will see if I can get the documents. I am helping someone else from a different company. We are just starting the project to upgrade our desktops to XP/Office 2003 from 2000. The first time I saw 2003 was late last week and I am a bit scared of the changes to mail merge and how all of our current merge systems will work in 2003. Thanks for the prompt response. The knowledge and experience on this board is amazing. There is rarely an answer I can't find on here.

Joanne

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Joanne,

One way of viewing your source data while the file is locked is to make a copy of the file (I think you'll find you can do this even after it's been locked) and open that.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]