New Lounger
    Thanks

Table of Contents not updating to linked doc (Word 9.0)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by hashbrown on 01-Sep-05 19:53. Wrong version entered)</P>Hello,

I am creating 4 user manuals for the same application. Some of the sections remain the same from user type to user type. Therefore, I created separate documents which are linked to a main word document. The first two manuals work great. The third manual is giving me problems with the table of contents. When I expand the sub-documents in outline view, return to print view, then F9 the table, some of the linked documents no longer appear in the table of contents.

If I create a whole new document, and link one of the sub-documents that is not appearing and attempt to create a table of contents, I receive an error that states, "Error. No index entries found!"

I have not changed any of the heading styles in the previously created sub-documents, or the main word document. I thought that maybe the normal.doc file became corrupted, so I deleted and let the system replace it. That didn't work.

The first two user manuals are working fine and refresh properly. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Short of creating a whole new document without linked sub-documents, I don't know what to do? Is there a limit to how many main documents can be linked to a subdocument?

Any feedback is appreciated.

My version is Word 2000

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Table of Contents not updating to linked doc (Word 9.0)

How are you linking the files? Are you using RD field or Master/Sub documents

New Lounger
    Thanks

I open a new word documnent. I then switch to outline view and link the sub documents to the master document. When complete, I switch back to Print View and add any additional text. The table of contents is inserted after the documents introduction page. When I attempt to populate the table by pressing the F9 button, only some of the data is included. This includes some of the linked documents and all of the verbiage typed directly into the main document. However, some of the linked documents are not appearing in the table of contents. I have double checked the formatting on the headers, and it matches the format that I have designated to be part of the table of contents.

Any help would be appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi hashbrown,

My recommendation is to stop using master and sub documents. The general consensus amongst Word experts seems to be that there are only two types of master documents: those that have become corrupted; and those that soon will. Yours may be on the cusp - and when it goes pear-shaped, you risk losing everything ...

You can achieve the almost all of same functionality with standard documents via linking with INCLUDETEXT fields and the like.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your input. I am investigating the Include Text function now.