Star Lounger
    Thanks

Schedule From Finish Date (2003)

Is there a quick way to get Project to schedule from a finish date by inputing the number of days prior to the finish date a task should commence?

i.e. We are scheduling a project to end on Dec. 15 and the project team put together a plan in excel that only indicates that a specific task starts 90 days prior to the day of the party. All of the tasks are set up this way.

I looked through the forum and couldn't find anything like this.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Schedule From Finish Date (2003)

Hi Thom,

When you set up your project in the Project Information dialog box (found under Project in the Menu Bar) you have the option to schedule the Project from the Start or from the finish. Based on which selection you make in this dialog bos the Start Date field or the Finish Date field will become available. You supply the appropriate date.

Although Project offers you this option, be aware it will make your plan somewhat inflexible as you can't schedule back beyond the current date, and most graphics in the charts will look as if the Project flows from Right to Left instead of the traditional Left to Right.

Carla

Thanks

Thom,

You could also set a hard contstraint, that is, must finish by, on the completion date that will force project to calculate the dates backwards (i.e., backwards pass) as well.

Post immediately edited to correct name.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm trying to do something similar, except that the fixed date I have is in the middle of the project. I want to schedule backwards from that task for predecessor tasks, and forwards from it for descendant tasks or whatever they're called. Here's a detailed description of what I'm trying to do.

I am trying to schedule a project in reverse order from the end date of a middle task.
    The tasks in the project, in order, are Estimate, Design, AFE, Construction, Records Updated, and Close.

The only date that is rigid is the end date of Construction, which is the date the customer needs delivery. Other than that, I just want to schedule things in the most efficient timing possible. So, I want to set a fixed end date for Construction, then make the first three schedule backwards from there so I can figure out when each should start. So, if customer requires item by January 10th, and Construction will take 5 days, it should start on the 5th. Then, if AFE takes three days, it should start on the 2nd, and so on. After the Construction end date, the remaining tasks should schedule forward.

Right now when I try to do something like this, I get a scheduling conflict, with two tasks happening simultaneously, and flow arrows looping back in time.

Lounger
    Thanks

Slickity,

If it is a small project with just the tasks you listed, it would be easy to schedule if you just put in each task, (starting today) and add the duration. Then when they are all in, if they are run consecutively, you can link them all together and leave the Project default of 'finish-to-start' link set. This will push each consecutive task into the future. When you are complete with that, all you would need to do is adjust the date of the first task until the construction task is set to finish on the date you need it to end. Project will automatically take into account weekends, but don't forget to add holidays to your working times calendar. I am trying to attach a basic file that demonstrates this setup.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Interesting. If setting the hard constraint in the middle of the project causes prior tasks to happen simultaneously in order to meet the must finish by constraint, then I would check the relationships between predecessors and successors for these tasks. Odds are they are not finish to start without any lags such that Project shifts them to meet your requirements. Also take a look at resource loading as this could effect this to.

Cant say much more without seeing the project as there are too many variables that effect this.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)