Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lottery Checker (E2003)

Hi

I have been placed in charge of the Companies lottery which involves 84 lines of unique combinations, checking them each week will be a nightmare as the UK lottery site only checks 1 line at a time, I though that this could be automated in Excel and wondered if anybody could help or offer advice.

<font color=blue>1. THE UK LOTTERY</font color=blue>

there are 49 numbers ranging from 1 - 49, 6 each week are picked randomly and then a seventh ball is picked as a bonus ball.

The prizes are awarded for the following matches

match 3, match 4, match 5, match 5 + bonus ball and match 6 (jackpot)

<font color=blue>2. OUR NUMBERS / MY EXCEL WORKSHEET</font color=blue>

We have 9 members of our lottery, each of them have picked a unique number between 1 - 49, HansV in another forum helped me determine that for each line to be unique using these 9 number our syndicate must complete 84 lines, for instance if our members had picked 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 our lines would be something like:-

Line 1 = 1,2,3,4,5,6
    Line 2 = 1,2,3,4,5,7
    Line 3 = 1,2,3,4,5,8
    Line 4 = 1,2,3,4,5,9
    Line 5 = 1,2,3,4,6,9
    Line 6 = 1,2,3,4,7,9
    etc. to line 84

My worksheet has 6 columns A-F into which I have typed in all of the 84 unique combinations of our actual numbers

<font color=blue>3. WHAT I ENVISAGE (IF POSSIBLE)</font color=blue>

7 Cells on the worksheet to type in that weeks actual numbers, the 6 normal numbers and the bonus number, a button which when clicked will compare each of my 84 lines with the number and create a result in column G

for example if this weeks numbers were 1,2,3,9,10,11 - bonus 13 the command would compare each of my lines and show result as below

Winning numbers this week
    Line 1 = 1,2,3,4,5,6 3
    Line 2 = 1,2,3,4,5,7 3
    Line 3 = 1,2,3,4,5,8 3
    Line 4 = 1,2,3,4,5,9 4
    Line 5 = 1,2,3,4,6,9 4
    Line 6 = 1,2,3,4,7,9 4

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny, the above results have had the spaces that I put in draft mode removed? the winning numbers this week column should be on the right with the results below it not next to the picked numbers.

Thanks

Re: Lottery Checker (E2003)

Is this what you are after?

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See screenshot. The formulas in H2 and I2 are array formulas; don't type the brackets { } yourself, and confirm the formulas with Ctrl+Shift+Enter instead of Enter. You can fill down H2:I2 as far as needed.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Steve and Hans

Steve: thanks for the example, I will copy it down to disc and have a crack at modifying it as there are actual 6 numbers + the bonus, expect an SOS on Monday!!

Cheers

Danny

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Steve,

I have noiw added another column for the 6th number and used it at the weekend, checking the 6 numbers worked fine but the problem I have is the bonus ball, perhaps I did not explain its function correctly.

The lottery user selects 6 numbers which are compared to 6 numbers drawn by the lottery machine, exactly how the main part of your worksheet works, the bonus ball however is selected by the lottery machine and compared against the 6 numbers choosen by the lottery user and if the main lottery numbers match 5 and the users 6th number matches the bonus ball he wins the 2nd prize, something like

if five number from $A$1:$F$1 exactly match 5 number $A$4:$F$84 and the 6th number matches G1 = match 5 + bonus ball

This is the only time that the bonus ball comes into play

Hope that makes sense

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See attached version of Steve's example.

Thanks

Hans answered your question, I think.

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought this was like the "powerball" in the US. You choose a number of balls and have a separate "powerball" to pick. The bonusball (ie powerball) is chosen separately and is distinct from the other balls...

Steve