New Lounger
    Thanks

CPU Percentage (XP/SP1)

I am having problems with too many programs running in the background. This has really slowed my computer down. I have run a virus scan, removed all unneeded programs, defragged, and performed a disk clean up, but still no luck. How do I find and fix the program that is using up all my CPU?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: CPU Percentage (XP/SP1)

Hello and welcom to the Lounge. Check out this post :Tutorials & Links to Detection & Removal Tools and the links on it. Once you are reasonably sure that there is no malware on your system you can use the Task Manager (right click the taskbar and select Task Manager to launch) to see what programs and processes are running. When you click on the Processes tab you'll get an idea of what is consuming your CPU. Don't just terminate something you see without knowing what it is. You can post back here for more help.

After your PC is in reasonable shape, I'd strongly suggest you install XP SP-2. SP-2 is the most stable and secure version of XP. Also, more patches and enhancements are requiring SP-2 and will not work with prior versions. See the Microsoft information about installing SP-2 atWindows XP Service Pack 2.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,
    Thanks for the tutorials and links about malware. I did search my system and clear some of the adware and spyware, but I am still experiencing a problem with the CPU usage. I did use task manager to see which programs and processes are running. It appears that I have about 30 different processes running. The one with the most memory usage is "waol.exe" averaging about 45,000K. Next is "svchost.exe" (system) averaging about 20,000K. These are the top two. How should I proceed?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"waol.exe" because you are running AOL

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I wouldn't worry much about the memory usage values, because the figures you see are what the programs need to run in.

More important in the Performance tab of Task Manager is the Commit Charge Total (near the bottom left) and how this compares with the amount of real memory you have in the PC.
    If the Total figure is less than the amount of real memory you have, this is good.
    If it is more, or even much more, then you may want to consider a memory upgrade.

In general, Windows XP runs fairly nicely in 512 MB, if you aren't using programs which are very heavily memory intensive. 1 GB of memory is usually more than you would need, but the most important performance factor in XP is the amount of real memory you have.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...