5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Burn MP3's in Folders?

I got a new in-dash receiver Thursday, that can play MP3/WMA/WAV files from CD-R disks. It doesn't do playlists, though. The manual says if I record a disk with a folder structure, however, I can pick a folder and just play the files in that folder. BUT I can't find a program that will let me burn files in a folder structure. MusicMatch Jukebox, Windows Media Player and iTunes won't, and although Roxio EZCD Creator SAYS it can do that, all 3 times I attempted that I ended up with a coaster. Does anyone know of such a program? PC is running XP Pro.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Burn MP3's in Folders?

Jeez John, I don't have an in-dash like that to try, but I use Nero and it will freely let me create a new CD in folder form. I put a few MP3s in a small, test folder structure and tried dragging that structure to a new compilation and it looked OK on screen. Since I don't have a player like that, I stopped short of actually burning the disk. Do you have access to a computer with Nero on it?

Edited later: John, the more I think about what I wrote, the more I wonder if you possibly did something wrong, at least with the Roxio product. If I have this right and you're trying to burn MP3s to a CD, that's an ordinary data CD, NOT a music CD and Roxio should be no different than Nero about handling a folder structured data CD. Am I reading wrong about what you're trying to do?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BigAl,

>> Jeez John, I don't have an in-dash like that to try, but I use Nero and it will freely let me create a new CD in folder form. I put a few MP3s in a small, test folder structure and tried dragging that structure to a new compilation and it looked OK on screen. Since I don't have a player like that, I stopped short of actually burning the disk. Do you have access to a computer with Nero on it? <<

I actually have a copy of Nero which came with my new DVD burner, but since I have the latest version of EZCDC (7.5) I never bothered with Nero. Maybe I'll give Nero a shot.

>> Edited later: John, the more I think about what I wrote, the more I wonder if you possibly did something wrong, at least with the Roxio product. If I have this right and you're trying to burn MP3s to a CD, that's an ordinary data CD, NOT a music CD and Roxio should be no different than Nero about handling a folder structured data CD. Am I reading wrong about what you're trying to do? <<

EZCDC lets me make either MP3, Data, or Audio disks. I made a "flat" (i.e., no folders) MP3 AND an Audio disk, when I was comparison shopping receivers. Both worked fine. The burning process for an MP3 disk with folders goes all the way through without an error, but then when the finalization starts, I get prompted to put another disk in, and the first one apparently doesn't get finalized properly. Making a Data disk would cause another problem: the receiver has CD-TEXT display, which Data disks can't do, to my knowledge.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Big Al,

>> If I have this right and you're trying to burn MP3s to a CD, that's an ordinary data CD, NOT a music CD and Roxio should be no different than Nero about handling a folder structured data CD. <<

Making some progress. Tried to burn a Data CD with EZCDC yesterday, first attempt failed at end of burn, just like before. Then I turned off "finalize the disk" and "test before burning," and got a useable disk. In-dash unit reads the folder structure on the disk OK, and Artist/Song Title displays on the receiver, too.

Down the road <grin> I'm going to get either an MP3 player or an iPod to connect to the receiver, so I can use playlists and can forget about burning CD's. Probably an iPod, as then the controls on the receiver can control playback (including the controls on the wireless remote).