4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Log-on woes (IE 6, XP, SR2)

Evening, All

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Log-on woes (IE 6, XP, SR2)

I'm not an expert in this, but the list of trusted sites should only contain URLs such as www.wopr.com, not the names of cookies.
    Also check the Privacy tab of Tools | Internet Options...
    Click Sites..., and make sure that wopr.com is not among the blocked sites.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Hans (do you never sleep?)

I had added the cookie when I had to sign on each time. In other words, the URL alone wasn't working for me.
    (I have no sites blocked in Privacy tab.)

Don't know if this is helpful to sleuths out there, but Unchecked is Override automatic cookie handling.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited; That was stupid of me to suggest my receiving email was affected. Of course it's not....

Thanks

I mostly use Firefox these days, but when looking at IE, I have overridden default cookie handling. Thus, I don't know what the default settings look like any more.

If I recall correctly, IE does not automatically remove cookies after each session. You might be able to specify that behavior using TweakUI or some other software (such as Norton Internet Security). Can you think of any tweaking, security, or privacy software that might be removing your cookies?

Added: By the way, when IE added the privacy tab (maybe in IE5.5?), cookie handling was separated from the security zones. It's very unlikely that your choice of Internet or Trusted site status is affecting cookie retention.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your ideas, Jefferson.

No, I cannot think of anything software I downloaded that might be affecting cookie behavior.

I thought the purpose of Trusted sites was to 'tell' IE to KEEP those specific cookies. If this is incorrect, where does one tell IE to keep/remove cookies?

Thank you.

Added: I had used AnalogX Cookie Wall but disabled it, when IE wasn't retaining my chosen cookies, thinking there might be a conflict.

Thanks

My bad, IE 6 will automatically accept cookies from domains in the Trusted Sites list and reject them from domains in the Restricted Sites list, and the rules set on the Privacy tab relate mostly to the Internet zone. (See How to Manage Cookies in Internet Explorer 6.) But as far as I know, IE does not automatically clear "persistent" cookies from any site when you close the browser. I'm not sure what program is doing it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, again, for replying.

I had read, and read, the "How to Manage Cookies..." article looking for some clue. I think I will reset everything to Default and see what happens. If this clears up the problem, I'll post back.

Curious