Thread: RAM usage

New Lounger
    Thanks

RAM usage

I've worked in the computer industry since 1960 (and been a PC user since 1978) it has always been true that more memory is better. This last week I was told (by a Tech I respect) that Win98SE does not use RAM above 196M. Is this true?

Thanks

Re: RAM usage

I would suggest that if the maximum was indeed 196MB, there has been some pretty slick sales made by the major computer manufacturers.
    I couldn't find anything immediately to confirm a maximum, but
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q253/9/12.asp>Q253912</A> "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
    refers to problems you may experience when using 512Mb +.

It looks like MS wouldn't agree on 196 as a maximum.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't remember all of the particulars, but I saw a discussion about this on Compuserve a while back. What you were told is apparently partially correct. Because of some of the legacy code in W98, there are some things that it will not put above 192meg (not 196). However, there are some things that it does put up there. So, W98 will not make complete use of more that 192meg, but it will use it for some things (I haven't seen what it will and will not use it for), and at some point it will run out of things to put there and not use more. If you want to make good use of more than 192meg, you really need NT or W2K. I don't know what ME will use.

This discussion was more than a year ago, and my memory is not what it use to be.
    Legare Coleman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Leif, I upgraded the memory on my dual boot XP /. W98 PC the other day and didn't notice till a while later that W98 crashed whilst starting windows.
    I remembered your post and it saved me a lot of time.

STuartR