5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One-to-Many (Access03)

What issues prevents you from making a One-to-Many relationship? I have primary keys in the main tables, generated as autonumbers. Then I have those primary keys as foreign keys in another table, set to be number.
    For example
    tblTask pkey = TaskID by autonumber

tblSubTask pkey = SubTaskID by autonumber, fkey = TaskID, set as number. This gives me a one-to-many relationship
    tblAttachment pkey = JoinID by autonumber, fkey = TaskID, set as number. This one gives me a one-to-one relationship

Thank you.

Fay

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: One-to-Many (Access03)

I don't understand your structure well enough to answer the question. What is tblAttachment, how is it used, and what other fields does it contain? Are there other foreign keys in the tblAttachment table? How are you setting the relationships? The key "JoinID" in tblAttachment suggests this is a join table, which would indicate another foreign key, but you didn't provide enough information to be sure.
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I realized I hadn't done one thing yet when I was getting ready to reply to you. I rebuild the tblAttachment table. I was able to make the join this time. Some times mysterys stay mysteries. Thanks. Fay

Thanks

One thing that gets forgotten is to check how the index is set on the foreign key field (particularly as it is at the bottom of the table design screen). I have had students set the foreign key to 'no duplicates' which obviously stops it being one-to-many relationship.

Just a thought.
    Steve H
    IT Lecturer/Access Developer
    O2K SR3/O2010; Win7Pro

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yep I figured that out after I had put it aside for the night and looked at it after a night's sleep. Something about not seeing the forest for the trees. Or should I say see the db for the tables? Thanks. Fay