Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: NAV and WinXP SP2

The link you gave to Symantec does not work.

Thanks

NAV and WinXP SP2

Just discovered yesterday that Symantec's Live Update will only run when a user is logged on as an Administrator. I set up a second account on a notebook for my son and I designated him as a Power User. I have Norton System Works 2005 installed on this computer. While logged on under the Power User account, the Auto Protect feature of the NAV component runs properly but the Automatic Live Update feature indicated "Off". After some digging in the Symantec KB, I confirmed that Live Update will only run under an Administrator account.

After some Googling, I found several responses to this issue that indicated that NAV (or NIS or NSW, etc.) and the Live Update feature would function properly if "Run as" a user with administrative privileges (<!mskb=294676>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 294676<!/mskb> explains this procedure). Apparently while the configuration of Live Update cannot be performed via this method (must be configured via an administrator account), the actual updates will download and install.

Has anybody had experience with this and will this method work? If so, is it simply Norton System Works (or NAV, NIS, etc.) that must be "Run as" or must I also specify the Live Update executables?

Edited: The link is flaky Howard so I deleted it. As well, I have determined that the SystemWorks "Run as" does work, but only for the current session. But this also means that the other user must know an administrator's Password (not acceptable). Since SystemWorks (and in particular NAV) loads at startup, I'm looking for a way to load the program at start up automatically using administrator credentials. Somehow, I doubt that's possible.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

But that means an administrator on that workstation, I believe. Are your users admins on their own machines?
    Charlotte

Thanks

Yes, the others are administrators on their own machines. But this is my notebook which my son uses quite frequently. It's not a major problem (him not having Live Update available while he's using the notebook), but there are times when I don't use that machine for a week or more at a time, and I just don't like the idea of the virus defs not being up to date while my son is using it during those periods. Right now, it looks like the only way that I can solve this problem is to change his account to an administrator account.
    John

Thanks

I can't remember - does LiveUpdate run as a service? If so, you could change the logon credentials for that service to use an admin account?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks

I can't find it running as a service. But as I said, it is not a major problem. I just wondered originally if anyone had come up with a workaround for this.
    John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Do you have the most recent Symantec Support - LiveUpdate files? Don't know that they will help but may not hurt.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

No I don't Joe, but I'll investigate that avenue. Thanks.
    John