Silver Lounger
    Thanks

200Gig Drive Showing Up as 127Gig

I have a Maxtor 200Gig external hard drive housed in an enclosure which is connected to the computer by USB 2.0. I had orginally had only one partition before trying to create additional partitions with Partition Magic Ver 8.

Well to make a long story short I still have only one partion (127Gig) with no unallocated space. I could at one time see 63Gig unallocated but when I tried to create the partition, the partition would not create/format properly and I would receive an error message #631 could not find partition. The 63Gig is no longer there and I am unsure of what to do next.

I could not find anything on the Internet to assist me in resolving this issue.

Your advice is appreciated,
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 200Gig Drive Showing Up as 127Gig

Update...

I downloaded Maxtorblaster4 which enabled me to repartition the 200Gig drive. I now have two partitions of equal size. Unfortunately the second partition will not format to either FAT32 or NTFS. I tried using Partition Magic Ver 8 to format the 2nd partition but receive Error Message 514: Unable to format volume.

Still working towards a resolution. Any assistance would be appreciated.

John

Thanks

Try this thread at Experts-Exchange - you need to scroll down to get the replies - and this thread at PC-Media Tech Forum.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Leif,

Thanks for the links. The cause of my problem is with the hard drive enclosure. I think it may be time to buy a new one as I can not identiry the manufacturer or firmware.

Regards,
    John