Star Lounger
    Thanks

pics blurry (2002 (10.2623.2625))

After creating a banner in Word, I took a snapshot of it, saved it as a JPEG file, and uploaded it to a webpage I'm working on in FP, then saved the changes and republished the web page on the Net, but it's come out a little blurry. The banner consists only of 2 lines of yellow font against a black background, and is sharp and clear in Word, as is the saved JPEG image. Any clues from anyone, please, as to why the font in the banner should look a little out of focus (just slightly) when the published page is brought up on the web?

Thanks

Re: pics blurry (2002 (10.2623.2625))

It could be that you are seeing JPEG compression artifacts. But the image should look the same whether you are seeing it on your PC or the web. To avoid this problem, save in GIF or PNG format. These formats deal better with large areas of flat color and sharp color boundaries, while JPEG tends to be best for photo-like color transitions.

If that's not it, the picture might be being rescaled to "fit" something. When you insert a picture in FrontPage, it usually uses the actual dimensions of the picture for the width and height attributes in the IMG tag. However, if you place the picture in a table and the table width is too small, IE may compress the image rather than cut it off.

Another possibility is that IE is shrinking the image to fit the browser window (this is on by default, and can be turned off in the browser using Tools>Internet Options..., Advanced tab, Multimedia category). Since most users have this on, it would be better to use a smaller image if this is the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi jscher2000

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head. I noticed the fonts themselves were being "squashed" when uploaded to the net, and had to resize them down, which dispensed with the squashing effect, but the blurring remained. I'll try saving as GIF or PNG, or resizing the table in which I inserted the banner. I feel sure that one or both of those measures will address the problems. Thanks a lot for your helpful response.

Cheers

Ross

Thanks

By the way... if you are creating an extra-wide banner that reaches beyond the text so that you can match up the black color, you might instead add a black background color to the table cell. This might eliminate the problem of the graphic getting crushed horizontally, if that is what's happening.

The downside to this approach is that most people do not print background colors, so the printout-out will show only the actual graphic. Not sure whether that is a problem for your site.