5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Scale drawings (PP2K)

I am playing with refurbishing my bathroom and I would like to be able to produce scale versions of the new bath, shower, etc. so I can move them around inside a scaled drawing of the room to and see whether they fit.
    Can PowerPoint be used to produce scale drawings? If so, how, please?
    And finally, how can the ruler scale be changed from inches to centimeters?
    TIA
    Silverback
    Silverback

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scale drawings (PP2K)

It should be possible to user PowerPoint for this purpose, but it's not ideal. You'd have to change your system settings to use centimeters instead of inches. Do you have Visio? That might be more suitable than PowerPoint.

If you do a Google search for free bathroom design, you'll find lots of dedicated bathroom design planners, many with a free trial download.

Thanks

My spouse does this by creating a grid...
    (I didn't have the patience myself)
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

As others suggested, Visio would be more appropriate for this. I did the floorplans for an addition to our house using Visio some years ago. In addition to being able to use a scale, it also has numerous built-in shapes (walls, doors, tubs) that might save some time.

If you do use ppt, two other things to keep in mind to make the job a little easier:
    - At least in ppt 2003 (and I think this carries back a few versions), you can turn on a grid from the View Menu (this may under the Draw Toolbar also). I believe this grid is for viewing only, not for printing.
    - if you draw a shape, you can scale it to a size. Let's say the biggest side of your bathroom is 300 cm. Draw a line of arbitrary size and set the scale that the length of this line (whatever it is) represents 250 cm. If you now duplicate the line (CTRL+d while it's selected) or copy/paste, you can change the size of the line easily to represent the smaller side. Say this wall is to be 200 cm. This is clearly 66.7% of the larger wall. With the 2nd line now selected, use either the Format menu and select Autoshape (or Format Autoshape from right clicking the line). Now select the Size tab and use the Scale settings to adjust the size of the 2nd line to be 66.7% (meaning 66.7% of its former self). Other shapes can be similarly scaled.

hope this helps.

Fred

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My daughter uses the free Ikea kitchen planner, I have no idea what it is like but heres the link

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/rooms_ideas/k...n/download.html

Danny

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you to Hans, Catherine, Fred and Danny for your replies. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply but I have been otherwise engaged.
    I shall try all your ideas, but I am particularly impressed with Fred's way of getting scale lines. Very smart. That, plus the grid idea should give a good idea of what will fit. Setting up a grid is something I didn't know how to do before, so at least I've learned something!
    I have downloaded the IKEA kitchen planner and will play with that.
    Finally, I have searched as Hans recommended and, amazingly, found lots of hits. Haven't had time to check thme all to see which will deliver (so far, the links I've followed have ended without any software to download) but I have found software which can be purchased - about which i am thinking.
    Once again, thanks loungers, you have come up trumps again.
    Silverback
    Silverback

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Done it!

OK - done it, and everything seems to fit. Thanks, loungers!
    What have I learned?
    1. Hold down the Ctrl key when left clicking on a guide line and PP makes a copy of the guide line which can be positioned anywhere. This is how I built up my grid.
    2. Hold Shift down when left clicking on a guide line and the counter resets (temporarily) to zero. Hence, it is easy to measure between guide lines/the length of object etc. in absolute terms. Once the shift key is released, the counter reverts to the count of where it is on the slide/page relative to its start point - which is the middle of the slide. This helps position other items in the same place.
    3. Fred's idea for scaling lines relative to the chosen line lenght for a metre worked a real treat. Easy to scale lines (although PP throws away decimal parts of percentages - so trying to scale one metre to 1.735 I could only choose 174 or 173). Still, good enough - of the items are going to be packed that tight I think a redesign is needed.
    I've proved to myself (and spouse) that our overall plan will fit with enough space left round the items to cope with minor positional errors.
    Thanks again loungers
    Silverback
    Silverback