5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Start O2K Offline

Is there a setting available to have Outlook start up in "Working Offline" mode? I'm connected through a corporate network (Internet, not Workgroup), so as soon as Outlook is opened it starts downloading mail... Sometimes I'd prefer to not download new mail until I've had a chance to clear up everything left over from the previous day first, before being inundated. I added a menu bar button to click as soon as I open Outlook, but just as soon as it finishes opening and allows me to click the button, it is already downloading.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Start O2K Offline

are you using outlook with exchange server or for pop mail?

with exchange, use offline folders. they are set up in the exchange service
    for pop mail, disable the check every xx option.

either method means that autochecking is disabled, you'll need to remember to use the send/recieve button.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We use a POP server, not Exchange.

If the process can be controlled via the "Check every xx" setting, maybe a little VBA could work? On program exit, automatically deselect this option; click a macro button to activate this setting and go back to full "online" for automatic send/receive. Do you think this might be possible to code for O2K?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

you'll need to check, but i think the check every xx minutes requires outlook to be restarted to work. It's been so long since i used it, i'm really not sure anymore.

if it does work, you could use a registry file to reset it after opening.

i think your version allows program shortcuts on the outlook bar and also has hyperlinks on toolbar buttons, so it would be easy to add. use a batch to open outlook, one that runs a reg to disable it then loads outlook. when ready to switch, it the shortcut to change it. this hinges on if outlook needs restarted for it to take affect though.