Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop Application Error (WinXP Pro/SP2)

After a power outage, I began receiving the attached Application Error when right clicking new desktop icons. The only way it seems I can delete the icons is to run debug and then drag them to the recycle bin. As I just upgraded my computer and reinstalled everything I would appreciate any assistance is repairing the demage caused by the power outage....Thanks.....

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Desktop Application Error (WinXP Pro/SP2)

Have you run a CHKDSK /r to repair any errors on the hard drive? That would be the first thing I would try after a power outage.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tired CHKDSK /R along with Ace Utilities, Bug Doctor, Registry Mechanic and Norton System Works and problem remains. It seems the problem occurs when I right click on certain icons (the icons seem to open correctly) and I get the application error.....however, other times just opening an icon (located in a desktop folder) will trigger the error....the effect is I cannot modify or, in some case open, certain icons....anyone have other suggestions....Thanks....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Try running a system restore to a time shortly before the crash, or 'sfc /scannow', or a repair install. I'd do them in the order listed.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, tried runnilng AutoPatcher/August and re=installing SP2 with no luck....problems seems to be when I right click on icons I get the error message (which effectively means I cannot modify an icon except by removing it (drag it to the Recycle Bin) and re-install). Even then when I right click the re-installed icon I get the error message....anyone have other ideas as to the problem??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I know I'm coming out of left field on this but is it possible that the power problem did damage to a RAM stick in the machine? I don't know how many sticks you've got in the box, but maybe you could do a little temporary swapping around to experiment with it... (I say this in light of the fact that you seem to have already done what can be done with the HDD)

Administrator
    Thanks

Autopatcher will just install hot fixes not repair anything. So, unless the damaged part of your installation was replaced by one of the hotfixes it won't change anything. Also, I'm not sure that re-installing SP-2 will do anything if it is already installed. Did you do an uninstall first? Did you try a system restore?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tried re-install of Windows, ran MS memory diagnostics with everything o.k., changed the drun.dll file and still have the same problem when right clicking most icons. Looks like I'll have to re-format the HD and re-install OS (or learn to live with the problem)....Everyone thanks for the ideas.....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I am not familiar with MS's memory diagnostics and (cough, cough) I don't think I would trust it (them) to REALLY do diagnostic work on a stick of memory. But you do what you have to do - I sure just hate to see you have to start with a format and install, without at least pulling out a stick of RAM to see - especially since you said this started with a power failure...

Administrator
    Thanks

BigAl,

See Microsoft Online Crash Analysis - windiag. This is actually a pretty good tool. I do agree with you that a simple check of removing a RAM stick is much easier than a complete reinstall.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

After re-installing WinXP, the Application Error, after a day or so, came up again....is there a keyboard short cut which emulates a right click on a desktop icon (and also the icons in My Computer)....looks like I will have to manually open the icons...I can't seem to find a reference for keyboard shortcuts....Thanks....Note: when I right click on the My Computer icons the window closes.....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have a recent keyboard? Most PC keyboards nowadays come with a "context menu" key that acts the same as right-clicking the mouse. It is located between the Windows and Ctrl keys to the right of the space bar.

Administrator
    Thanks

See List of the keyboard shortcuts that are available in Windows XP. Did you re-install from scratch - that is format the HD?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I actually upgraded the HDD to a new, larger one...I was in day 2-3 in re-installing software (before I had backed up the new drive on a second one, of course),..when the application error started again...I can right click on desktop and get the context menu so the context button is not of any special help....e.g. of problem...to use Ahead's InCD I need to right click on CD Drive icon in My Computer but I can't open it...is there some manual way of opening this icon (and any of the other ones)....??? I took the computer to a shop in Beirut for a fix but they said I would have to reinstall WinXP (which they did along with a new HDD)....

Administrator
    Thanks

What application was just installed when the problem resurfaced?

Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast