3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

todays dumb question!!

I have three tables....
    1 a list of establishments with a primary key
    2 a list of products with a primary kay
    3 a link table that only contains two foreign keys
    this is because an establishment may have many products and a product may be available thru many establishments.

Now the problem, I have to produce a report that will put this data out for processing by the printers (using Quark I think). The design is a grid, establishments along the top of the page, products down the side of the page with a 'blob' where that establishment provides that product.
    I have tried to run this as one query but the query generator tells me that there are ambiguous outer joins.
    I have tried building the query with a sub query but then i dont get all rows returned ( that is i only get rows where the establishment supplies a product )
    Can anyone help please ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: todays dumb question!!

Here's some SQL I generated by creating a cross-tab query in the northwind sample database. I used the products, orders and order details tables in this example which closely resembles your table structure - just replace orders with establishments. I used the customerID in the orders table as the column heading because there is a limit to the number of columns in Access97 - 255? HTH!

TRANSFORM Count(Products.ProductID) AS CountOfProductID
    SELECT Products.ProductName
    FROM Products INNER JOIN (Orders INNER JOIN [Order Details] ON Orders.OrderID = [Order Details].OrderID) ON Products.ProductID = [Order Details].ProductID
    GROUP BY Products.ProductName
    PIVOT Orders.CustomerID;

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: todays dumb question!!

Paul, thank you, you have saved me from a weekend of beating my head on a wall !!!! I had got the same effect from a pivot table in excel but it was the crosstab that gave me the results i needed.
    thanks again