Star Lounger
    Thanks

Old Password used by screen saver (XP XP2)

I recently changed my password on my computer, Single user with admin privileges. I also set my screen saver, Windows XP with On resume, require password checked. When the screen saver starts I have to use my old password to unlock the screen. When I lock the screen using the windolws command key + L or when I reboot my PC I have to use the new password. I think my old password has been compromised so I only want to be able to unlock my PC using the new password, no matter how it was locked down. Probably something in the registry causing this, but not sure where to start.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Old Password used by screen saver (XP XP2)

Are you using one of the "standard" windows XP screen savers? These should use your current password
    Did you completely log off and log in again after changing the password?

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I am using a standard screen saver. I tried just restarting but had the same problem. I shut down and started over from off and that seems to have done it.

I am curious though, just in general, is there a password cache somewhere that needs to be cleared periodically?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Windows does have various caches of saved network passwords, used for different purposes. But I've never had a problem with a local password in this way.

Even if your computer is a member of a domain and you changed the domain password, your screen saver should have started using this updated password as soon as you logged out and in again.

StuartR