Thanks

Win32 BI (Win XP Home)

Trying to fix a friends Windows XP Home edition. MS wants to load a service patch "Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 Windows Server 2003 (KB842773)" "This software updates the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) to v2.0 and updates WinHTTP. These updates help ensure an optimal download experience with future versions of Automatic Updates, Windows Update, and other programs that rely on BITS to transfer files using idle network bandwidth." but every time it trys, it fails. I have even tried downloading the patch from MS manually and running it, but the results are the same.

If I go to the control panel and try and uninstall the "WIN32 BI Application" it comes back and tells me the "WindowsInfpayload.inf" file is missing, so it appears I can't delete it either.

MS isn't much help as their suggestion to "Procedure to manually Re-Install BITS Service" appears to run it, the results are the same. I can't get rid of it and no other updates appear to be available until I can get this one installed. Any help would be appreciated.....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Win32 BI (Win XP Home)

Did you read this An update package that includes BITS 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 is available for Windows Server 2003, for Windows XP, and for Windows 2000? There is a section called 'How to verify .... for Windows XP. If the versions of the files are those listed you could add the registry key to fake the install being completed.

What kind of failure did you get? Have you looked at the event viewer? Have you tried to get an installation log with the manual install - How to Enable Windows Installer Logging in Windows XP?

Joe
    Joe