Lounger
    Thanks

Recordsets in Access 2000

In Access 97 I used code like this to open a recordset and work with it:

Dim db As Database
    Dim rst As Recordset
    Set db = CurrentDb
    Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("tblSelectedData")
    rst.MoveFirst

In Access2000 I can

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Recordsets in Access 2000

As I am learning, A2k uses a different object model - ADO - than A97 uses - DAO. I believe one way to solve it is to make a reference to the microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library. There are others here that are more conversive in this new model and may have other suggestions for you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Both DAO and ADO have a recordset object. Access thinks it recognizes the Recordset object, so it lets you dim it, but it chokes on Database because ADO doesn't have a Database object and you have the default ADO reference set. I'd recommend two things: 1) add the reference to DAO so that you can still write familiar code but can also learn the new object model along the way, and 2) start "disambiguating" your references all the time by declaring objects as DAO.Database and DAO.Recordset and DAO.Property to distinguish them from ADODB.Recordset and ADODB.Property.

If you're only working with DAO, then it will be simple because all your model-specific objects (i.e., database, recordset, tabledef, querydef, field, property, etc.) can be declared as DAO.something. It will get you into the habit and will be a big help when you start working with ADO, since you'll be able to tell them apart. You don't have to do this with interface objects like form, control, report, module, but you do with the code-based objects.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte, thanks so much for your help. You'll never know how much you've done for me. Between answering my questions directly and all your posts for others, you have contributed a lot to my education.

Paul

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Paul. I'd already tried that. As you can see below, Charlotte has the answer again. But I appreciate your comments.

Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Glad to help. This is especially confusing to those who aren't full time developers like me. If you work with it every day, all day, it becomes second nature.
    Charlotte