3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Method to split delimited value like this: A;B;C (2003)

I'm almost embarrassed to post this because I feel that I should be able to figure this out on my own. Due to time restrictions I do not have the luxury to keep playing with it and so I'm sure someone here will be able to answer this very quickly. This has to be a common scenario in Excel and that is why I'm so surprised that I'm having a hard time finding a Native Excel function to do this.

I have in column C a list of values that are delimited with the ; character like this: Action;Horror;SciFi . I need to parse this vale out, placing each in a separate column to the right. So the solution would take the example above and place in column D the value 'Action', in column E the value 'Horror' and lastly in column F the value 'SciFi'. The values do not include the single quotes I have used here to place emphasis on the values I'm describing.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm just amazed there is not a built-in function in Excel to do this or at least simplify this process.

Thanks

Re: Method to split delimited value like this: A;B;C (2003)

Select the data, choose Data-Text to Columns and then follow the instructions, choosing the relevant delimiter (in your case a semicolon).
    HTH.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Method to split delimited value like this: A;B;C (2003)

Thanks! That worked perfectly. I knew there had to be some easy way of doing this I just didn't think to try the menus. I've become so use to having to go with functions for advanced stuff that I didn't even consider that there might be a built-in menu driven feature to do this.