Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

2003 to 97 Conversion Problems (Access 97)

After converting an Access 2003 app to 97 format I keep running into hangups. A major one has to do with the following SQL query in a combo box on a form. It simply hangs up and doesn't return a value.

SELECT qryStudents.StudentID, qryStudents.Expr1 FROM qryStudents ORDER BY [Student];

I suspect that the problem may have to do with an IsNull statement in Expr1 in the above SQL code. Expr1 looks lilke this:

Expr1: IIf(IsNull([StudentPh]),"___________ " & [Student],Format([StudentPh],"(000)000-0000") & " " & [Student])

It works perfectly in 2003. Is there something wrong with such a query, or do I have to enable some library or reference for it to work in 97, or is there a problem with using IsNull in 97?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 2003 to 97 Conversion Problems (Access 97)

The expression itself looks OK.
    Open any module in the Access 97 version, and select Tools | References...
    Do you see any references starting with MISSING? If so, clear their check boxes.
    If you still have problems: which references are checked?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know that it's a problem, but I have found at times that the only way to get an expression like that to work was to reverse the logic of it. Try this:

Expr1: IIf(Not IsNull([StudentPh]), Format([StudentPh],"(000)000-0000") & " " & [Student], "___________ " & [Student])
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I did discover a Missing reference to VB for apps Extensibility 5.3, but I didn't have your instructions with me so I didn't uncheck it. Next time I get the opportunity I'll do that. If that doesn't help I'll try Charlotte's suggestion.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The extensibility library is only necessary if you refer to the VBE itself in code. try unchecking it and compiling your project. If everything compiles, then you didn't need it.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I seem to have cured the problem by (1) re-converting my 2003 db to the 97 format, (2) unchecking the MISSING library reference, and (3) opening up VBA and recompiling the entire program. Now everything works ok. Thanks to everyone.