3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disappearing Software (OXP-SP3/WinXP=SP2)

Office components are disappearing from my installed programs without my having uninstalled them. I can't find word.exe searching files and folders and it won't execute from Start/Run. It doesn't appear in my Start/All Programs list and it doesn't appear when Control Panel Add/Remove Programs. I run Grisoft AVG free edition and my firewall in embedded in my router. I'm the only user of this machine. Is the proximity of Mars causing this? ZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmZAP!!

Thanks

Re: Disappearing Software (OXP-SP3/WinXP=SP2)

Tried searching for winword.exe? It should be in the same program folder as the other Office programs, assuming they're still around. Note that if you logged in as a different user, that could be a problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the response.

Using WINWORD as the search argument, I found it. It's in C:/Programs/Microsoft_Office/Office10.

Now, why doesn't it appear in my Start/All_Programs list? Only PowerPoint shows up with the MS Office entry. And, why doesn't it show up in Control_Panel/Add/Delete_Programs? Could some other software or worm have hidden it from me?

Thanks again for the help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Answers:

1. For different reasons, shortcuts to your Office applications may be deleted from Programs folders.

2. In "Installed Programs" list in "Add or Remove Programs" dialog of Control Panel you can see the entry "Microsoft Office XP..." that includes all Office applications. To change components, select "Microsoft Office..." entry, click "Change" button and follow the wizard (on one of the steps you will see Word, Excel and other applications).

3. No, probably one of hotfixes deleted old shortcuts and for some reason misplaced new ones.

Recommendaton:

Open Windows Explorer. Click Tools | Folder Options, then View tab. Select "Show hidden files and folders", uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)". Confirm your selection. Also you can uncheck "Automatically search for network folders and printers" - usually it is unnecessary and slows down browsing. Click Apply, OK.

In Windows Explorer navigate to C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10Shortcut BarOffice on the left pane. Press and hold Ctrl key on your keyboard and on the right pane select (click) all shortcuts you want to be seen in Programs menu. Clicking the second time on selected item you can deselect it. When you finish, still holding Ctrl key press C key. Release Ctrl key.

Navigate to Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuPrograms on the left pane. Then click once on the empty space (anywhere) on the right pane. Press Ctrl and V keys on your keyboard simultaneously. If you will be prompted to replace existing shortcuts, confirm your choice. Your shortcuts are restored.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WOW! Many thanks for the help. I couldn't figure out what was going on. I'm fairly new to XP and haven't done all the tweaking that I did over the years to 95/98/ME.

Thanks again for the very effective help.