2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop cannot see Desktop anymore

Hi, can anyone help me? Until recently, I had a working home network - a Dell Desktop connected by Ethernet to a Netgear modem/router, which connected wirelessly to a Dell Laptop via a Belkin wireless adaptor. After much toing and froing, I got the pcs to see each other, once I figured out that ZoneAlarm needed the IP range in its safe list for the Trusted Zone. Each pc is running ZoneAlarm and also McAfee VirusScan.

All was fine till I bought and installed CounterSpy on the Desktop. During the setup and initial use, it told me that it had identified over 300 (!!) different weaknesses in my machine, and offered to fix them for me. Given its reputation, I agreed. (Sigh) Now I find that although the Desktop can still see the Laptop, the Laptop cannot see the Desktop at all anymore! I can only assume that CounterSpy has erected a barrier, or closed a port or something, such that the Laptop can't see the Desktop (although it still knows the Router is there).

My question is - how can I find what the problem is? As far as I know (not a lot in this area), there doesn't appear to be any way to determine just what the problem is. What do I look at? What can I run that will tell me what's wrong? Just how do I go about fixing this problem?

Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks

Re: Laptop cannot see Desktop anymore

Would this help?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That looks promising! I'll give it a go as soon as I can, though that may not be for a few days (oh, this hectic social whirl....!). I'll let you know one way or another, though. Thanks again. Now, why didn't I think of looking there......?

Cheers,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

Well it was a bit late last night when I had a look at this, but anyway..... I took the Sunbelt answer that you pointed me at and gave it a go. The first suggestion (essentially to remove unused connections) just screwed up my lan connection completely, so no internet, no nothin'. I wasn't sure about the second suggestion (revert to default), so I looked at the third (revert to a previous System Restore). This would tell me if it was indeed CounterSpy that had altered my network connectivity or not. Sure enough, when I rolled back to just before I installed CounterSpy, all my network connections were restored and Laptop could see Desktop again! THIS time when I asked CounterSpy to analyse my Desktop, I looked more carefully at what it suggested. Although there were 349 suggestions, about 340 of them concerned ActiveX for specific spyware, so I thought that was ok, but the rest I asked to remain undisturbed. Doing this, my network remained intact. So all I had to do again was reinstall the one or two things that I'd done since installing CounterSpy, and that was that!

I found another page on the Sunbelt Software site that was headed 'I can no longer access my shared folders on my home network' and although the registry fix it provided had no effect it seemed, it did state that the problem concerned altering the 'restrict anonymous security' setting, and that was indeed one of the things that CounterSpy offered to 'fix' and which I left undisturbed this time around, so that may well have been the culprit the first time. Whatever, all is now well, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction, it's much appreciated. Thanks again.

Regards,

Thanks

Great! Glad to hear everything is normal again.

On the link (Sunbelt) to which I originally referred, I noticed near the end of the article a request to customers experiencing problems to document them and report them to Sunbelt. You might want to do this as it may help them to sort out these glitches in future releases.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions