Thanks

Paste Lock problem (2002)

I am copying text from Word and pasting it into Excel. I thought that would be easy. Excel has a protected worksheet but the cell is unlocked. After I use the Ctrl+V or the paste button in Excel, Excel goes and locks the cell on me! If I try to change or correct the value in the cell I'm out of luck unless the user unprotects the cell. If I do a paste values only, it behaves properly in that it does NOT lock the cell. Did I discover a bug? Is there a fix to this problem?
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Paste Lock problem (2002)

I was able to duplicate the issue you are experiencing using Ctrl-V.

When I select Edit>PasteSpecial in Excel I have the following options. It would appear that the clipboard is storing the data copied as:

I pasted it as text and it worked.

Regards,
    John

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you click in the formula box before doing the paste does it still happen?
    Legare Coleman

Thanks

Legare thanks for the reply. No it doesn't happen when I use the formula box. The cell remains unlocked. I would think pasting inside the cell without proceeding to the formula box to paste it would work the same way but it doesn't look like it.

This is the second problem I've found with worksheet protection turned on. The first was a minor one. I'd be curious if anyone else has problems with protecting worksheets.
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply John. The method you explained is what I would equate to pasting with values only. Are you using Excel 2003? I wonder if anyone can tell me if this problem still exists with that version?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In Excel, pasting directly into a cell was meant to be used for copying a cell from Excel and pasting back into Excel. I have found that some strange things can happen when you copy from other application and past directly into the cell. Excel trys to bring along the formatting, and what the other application sends can cause Excel to do some strange things. In this case, I expect that the bit Excel uses for cell Lock/Unlock is used for something else by Word.
    Legare Coleman

Thanks

It could be excel just imports as the default, which is locked.

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You're correct. If you set up the Normal style to be unlocked, cells will remain unlocked after pasting from Word or another application.

However, if you do this, you must explicitly LOCK all cells that are to be protected instead of UNLOCKING the cells that shouldn't be protected, before protecting the sheet.

Thanks

Hans, would you let me know how to modify Word's normal style to be unlocked? Seaching help in Word for unlocked didn't help me much. Thanks.

Thanks

It is not in WORD, it is in Excel:
    Format - Style - select "Normal" -Uncheck "Protection"

Steve

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation Legare. Since Excel's default seems to be to paste both content and formating and I can't change that, I'll have to resort to paste special values only. Thankfully there's a toolbar button that I have added to the existing toolbar to do that which will help.

Thanks

Thanks Steve. When I read Normal style I automatically thought of Word not Excel. That made sense now. Format - Style is an area in Excel I haven't used so naturally I didn't realize it was there. A nice discovery thanks to Hans!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think you have to modify the style and clear the Locked check box in the Protection tab, to explicitly unlock cells. Unchecking "Protection" in the Style dialog itself only means that Protection is not part of the style.