Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rlbroerman

Multiple combo boxes (2003)

I have a table called "Demographics" with last name and Company ID number in each of numerous records.
    I want to have a combo box for each (two combo boxes)on the same form. One called "lastName" ant the other called "companyID". I want to be able to select records from either combo box and have the form be updated in both combo boxes.
    I have tried this and only the combo box I am using will be updated and the other isn't updated.
    Can you help?
    Rick Broerman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple combo boxes (2003)

Do you want the combo boxes to modify a field in the current record, or do you want them to look up a record based on the selected value?

rlbroerman

I want to "look up a record based on a selected value"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OK. Is there a hiearchy, for example, selecting a company in one combo box should cause the other combo box to list only names belonging to the selected company? Or should the user be able to select an item in each of the combo boxes, independently from each other?

rlbroerman

Your first question is what I want to do.
    Thanks for the help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

rlbroerman

I looked at ACC2000 and tried it but it would not work. Acc2000 looks like it is pulling data from 2 tables. I have only one table. I have attached my table and form.
    can you help please.
    Rick Broerman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid I don't understand what you want. There is no CompanyID field in sight in your database. Can you try to explain as clear and detailed as you can what you want to accomplish?

rlbroerman

When I first asked this question I tried to make it generic by using "companyID". But actually in the Database I sent it is called DeaconessID. Sorry for the confusion but I really do appreciate your help. What I need are 2 combo boxes one named "LastName" and the other "DeaconessID". I want to go to either combo box and put info in either and both combo boxes will be updated with info from the same record.
    Thanks again for your patience.
    Rick Broerman

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The first thing to do is to get one combo box to find the record, then create a second that also finds a record, and finally to synchronise the two combo boxes.

If you use the combo box wizard, one of the options is to find a record. Take that option using the ID field.

When you do the second one, using last name, do you want to find anyone with a matching last name? I would usually include lastname and firstname, and enough additional info for the user to be able to identify the actual person. In this case the ID field would still be present in the first column, but with a column width of zero so that is hidden. but it is still used by Access to find the record.

Assuming you have done that, then the final step is to include in the after update event of both of them, code to synchronise them

in the one called ComboDeaconessID put: me![combolastname] = me![comboDeaconessID]
    in the one called ComboLastName put : me![comboDeaconessID] = me![combolastname]
    Regards
    John

rlbroerman

I need to have 3 combo boxes the newest on named "painID" . See attached for what I tried but didn't work. Thanks for the help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I tried to open a form and it replied it could not open a medications form??????

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Apart from the missing subforms, it's still not clear what you want. Could you try to explain as clearly as you can and in detail what exactly you want to accomplish?

rlbroerman

I want all 3 combo boxes to look up a record based on the selected value?

rlbroerman

This is additional clarification.
    I want to put the name or the ID no in the appropriate combo boxe and have the associated record info come up in the other 2 combo boxes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast