Lounger
    Thanks

Disappearing Header/Footers (Word 2002)

I have set up a word template to look like our company letterhead. I have placed our Logo (graphic) in the Header, and the address/mini logos (graphic) in the footer. Whenever I start typing, or copy and paste text from another file, I either lose one or both graphics from the template. Even though I have the Print Layout View selected, I can not see the two graphics. Sometimes the graphics print anyways, but not always where I want them to. How do I make this new version of Word act like the older versions, so that I can actually see on my screen what I want to see? And, if I can't see the graphics on the screen, but they print anyways, how can I edit their placements?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disappearing Header/Footers (Word 2002)

Select Tools | Options and activate the View tab (if necessary). Clear the "White space between pages" check box and click OK.
    Alternatively, move the mouse pointer to the top of the document window, just below the ruler. The mouse pointer will change shape, and a click will toggle the white space on and off.

Lounger
    Thanks

Clearing the "White space between pages" does not help when pasting new text into the original template file. In addition, why can't I see the header/footer on the screen, even though I am using print layout view?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you make the header/footer visible at all by clearing the "White space between pages" check box?

Lounger
    Thanks

I can only see the header & footer when I first open the template file. If I manually enter text, then I can see the header/footer. But, if I paste anything at all into the file, then the header/footer disappears, and even when I click on print preview, I can no longer see the header/footer. They don't print, either.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does the thing you are pasting in have any Section Breaks in it? If so then the headers and footers in those section breaks may be replacing the ones in your original document.

StuartR

Thanks

If the text you are pasting is from another Word document, and contains a section break (or the end-of-document marker), it's possible that the headers and footers from the source document can replace those in the receiving document. I haven't tested all the possibilities, but can you check on whether that might be an issue here?

With respect to simply typing in the document body, you should not lose anything in the headers and footers. Word and Windows sometimes are graphically challenged in updating the screen display. Suggestions for dealing with that include updating drivers (from the manufacturer, not Windows update) and lowering the hardware acceleration setting.

Lounger
    Thanks

No, the text I am pasting in does not have any section breaks or end of document notation. It is simply selected text from another document, that I want to appear on the company letterhead.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you attach a zipped copy of the template? Remove proprietary information, and zip the file (you cannot attach .dot files)

Lounger
    Thanks

I tried to attach the zip file, but it came back saying the file was too big. Any other suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The limit is 100 KB. To get the zip file below that, you will have to take things out of the template, perhaps replace the logos by small dummy pictures - as long as the problem is still present.

Lounger
    Thanks

Here is the zipped file.

Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You have placed both the logo and the address in the main document. You should put them in the page header and footer, that way they won't be affected by typing / pasting in the main document. See attached version.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, that seemed to work.