2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pasting Word tables as metafiles (2003/SP1)

I'm working on a PowerPoint presentation to which I would like to add several tables. The tables were originally created in Word for use in a Word document. What I need is pictures of the tables, so that the slide will show a table exactly as it looked in the original document. No functionality needed.

I had thought that pasting as a Windows metafile or an enhanced metafile would do the trick, but some of the table rules are missing.

This is not the first time metafiles have (in my view) misbehaved: I have seen font changes and other layout problems arise. I had thought that, for all practical purposes, a metafile was a picture. Is this not true? How can I get an exact picture of a Word table to appear in a PowerPoint presentation?

Thanks in advance,
    Erik

Thanks

Re: Pasting Word tables as metafiles (2003/SP1)

> How can I get an exact picture of a Word table to appear in a PowerPoint presentation?

Make a screen capture of your Word table, zoomed to the appropriate size, using Alt+PrintScreen. Paste into Paint. Press ESC to deselect. Position the scroll bars so you can see the whole table and select it with the mouse. Copy. Paste into PowerPoint.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! I'll try that.

But...but...the planet's standard office suite makes you rely on SCREEN CAPTURES to get an exact copy of something from one application to another? Maybe I should just print it out and scotch tape it to the projection screen instead...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can also select your table, copy it, go to PowerPoint and edit/paste special as a "Microsoft Word Document Object". Then once you've made sure everything appears as it should, you can right-click on the table, choose "Document Object ", then "Convert". Choices are "Microsoft Word document or Microsoft Word picture. You might have to uncrop sides (my borders weren't all there, and it adds blank space to bottom that you have to crop off, but it works pretty good.

Another way is to put the table in its own document and link it to your PowerPoint slide, then if you really want a picture, break the link. Both methods work for me.