Thread: Comments (XP)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Comments (XP)

Is there a way to add a comment, NOT have it visible (eating away my right margin) but still have it (and the text) pop-up when I hover my mouse over it and also have it indicated somehow.... I recall this was possible in Word97; cannot make it work like that in Word2002 (or Word 2003 for that matter).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Erik Jan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Comments (XP)

Not quite, but you can turn off the balloons in the margin by clearing the Use Balloons check box in the Track Changes tab of Tools Options. Comments and tracked changes will be displayed in a Revision pane at the bottom of the Word window.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

And if you follow Hans' advice & also have Tools/Options/View tab/Screen tips checked, you will be able to see your comments by hovering the mouse over the comment reference. At least, it works that way in Word 2003.
    Cheers,

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans & Phil,

Thanks for your feedback. Regretfully, the "do not show ballons" thing seems a global setting in Word (I mean that it doesn't sem to be connected to the saved document); in order for my "hover-my-mouse-over-the-comment-and-get-a-pop-up-but-do-not-show-balloons" to work, I'll be dependent on local settings for each user (I know; I can attach a small VBA-macro, but that impacts too much for each user AND they might choose not to run macros).

I thought to add a bookmark and then add a hyperlink to that bookmark (and thus a hyperlink to itself...). There we have a possibility for a 'screentip', this works but the drawback here is that we see "click to follow link"....

More thoughts?

Erik Jan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, balloons and screentips are user-level settings, not document-level settings. You can provide an instruction for users how they can change these settings themselves, after that it should be their own choice.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

> I can attach a small VBA-macro, but that impacts too much for each user

You could use a macro that mimics a per-document setting, using AutoOpen and AutoClose subs or event-procedures;
    - read and save the current values of the options when opening the doc
    - change those values to your choice;
    - do other things;
    - restore the saved values of the options when closing the doc.
    Using the DocumentChange event you could also change the values if the user switches between loaded documents.

Thanks

Something I only discovered by accident the other day. Even if you have Word doing the tracked changes and comments in balloons in the margin, if you switch to Normal view rather than Print Layout view, Word displays these features the old fashioned way. Not all documents are adequately displayed in Normal view, for instance, if they contain graphics, or multiple columns, but you may find this helps.

Ian