2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP SP2 User Account Problem (XP SP2 Home)

Howdy all. I'm using XP SP2 Home. This 'puter is only a few weeks old, and I'm just starting to use it on a regular basis. Here's the problem(s). I have been trying since last night to set up a limited user account, and get it working correctly. The new user account is set up okay, but fast user switching doesn't work (yes, it's enabled, and I know it's advised against - but I was just trying it out) - I have to do a log off to change users, otherwise it just goes back to the welcome screen and locks up and I have to hit the power button to reboot; AND, it acts funky when I do log in to the limited account - odd things like left clicking and dragging to move an icon, and then having to click again to make the pointer release the icon, and the dial up shortcuts not being able to connect (error message says that the computer being dialed into isn't responding) - BUT - the same shortcuts work perfectly in the Admin user account (I'm using it now to enter this), and being on the net is the main reason that I wanted a limited user account. I'm running the latest version of Zone Alarm Pro (again - with NO problem connecting under the Admin account). Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Take care,
    Mike.

Thanks

Re: XP SP2 User Account Problem (XP SP2 Home)

There are several articles here that discuss fast user switching. You may find something here that is relevant to your problem.
    How much RAM is installed on your machine? Inadequate RAM will prevent fast user switching even if it is enabled.
    What happens in the limited account if you turn off ZA completely? Before you try this, physically disconnect from the internet (i.e. unplug your connection).
    Do you have any third party mouse software installed that might be causing the mouse behaviour you describe?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Howdy Rebel, and thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try, and get back to you as soon as possible. I suppose I can turn off ZA, and turn on Windows firewall to check the connection shortcut. Don't know if it will make a difference, but I'll also try turning off ZA before I make a new limited account. Ram is 512, shouldn't be a problem. No 3rd party mouse software, and it only occurs in the limited account, anyway. Thanks again.

Mike.

Thanks

Yes, 512 should be quite sufficient to allow switching. Another question - what happens if you create another Administrator account? Do the same problems surface?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Howdy again Rebel. Sheeesh!!! What a dumb ass I can be! It was a simple oversight. I forgot to enter my username and password in the Internet Options>Connections>Shortcut Settings!! What a maroon! Oh well - all better now :-} Thanks again.

Take care,
    Mike.