3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Outlook on the Move (2003)

Hi All,

I use Outlook 2003 on my laptop and when it is connected in at work we connect to the exchange server. I have been using outlook web access a lot from home and while it is okay there is some functionality (like access to my distribution lists) that it doesn't allow.

Basically I guess what I am asking is is it possible to use Outlook when not connected to the small business exchange server and have the mail sent through the current network connection (eg, at home we have broadband, but I am often using it in a hotel room where there is dial-up).

Any ideas??

Another annoying thing is when I connect my laptop back up at work for some strange reason it reverts to having word as the email editor grrrrr..... although I can change it for that session, sure enough the next time I connect in same thing happens. There aren't any policies set on the exchange server for this so I don't know what the go is. We are a small business so there is not really a tech support area for me to ask.

Thanks

Re: Outlook on the Move (2003)

On the first issue, you can make a VPN connection to your office network. A VPN connection is just like plugging into a port in the office, with the exception that it's 100 times slower. It works like this: after establishing your regular internet connection from the hotel/home, you use either the Windows VPN client or a proprietary client program to authenticate to your network (either to the firewall or some other security device, or to a Windows server). Obviously this needs to be set up on the inside before you can use it.

Starting, I believe, with Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003, you also could use "RPC over HTTP" to access the Exchange Server over the Internet, but there might be negative security reasons; as far as I know, we have not even tested it.

On the second issue, that's strange. If your logon is the same on the road as it is at the office, Outlook should be picking up its settings from the exact same part of the registry. Hmmm.

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Thanks for that. Can you talk me through the VPN connection option using the Windows VPN client (I would need you to take me through the server side set up as well).

Cheers

Thanks

The server-side setup should be done by a Windows Server administrator who has time to read all the security gotcha documentation. Once that is set up, on the client side, you use the new network connection dialog and specify VPN. You need the address of your Windows server that will accept the PPTP connection or, if your company's firewall is going to route the traffic to that server, the address of your firewall. It's really quite self-explanatory; the only detail I remember being problematic is that it is best to get the "three box" dialog (username, password, domain) and you might have to dig into a setting window to get the domain box in the dialog (at least on Windows 2000).