Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access2000 runtime conflict with Access2003? (2000

We have an application which is deployed with Access 2000 runtime (ART) (ODE environment), and which has been successfully installed by dozens, maybe hundreds, of users without problems. Recently however, I have had a handful of problem reports, from users who have Access 2003 installed. In the latest case Access ART crashes on startup with an exception code xC00000005 at address x25896450 and the usual "Report it to Microsoft" error panel. The ART installation was successful and the log shows no errors. It is listed in the "Add/remove programs" listing. However, we are unable to duplicate the problem on any test setup, or to cause any sort of problem in this environment.

Has anyone else seen compatibility problems between Access 2000 ART and Access 2003?

Any suggestions about what might be causing the problem? It seems to me that it must be some configuration on the user machine (probably different in each case?), but I don't have access to any of the failing machines to do in-depth research.

Thanks.
    Geoffrey

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access2000 runtime conflict with Access2003? (2000

What is in the event viewer for the error? If the Access runtime was installed in its own directory, there shouldn't be any problem. However, it may not even be the runtime, but the file that is being executed when you open the application. Are you using a saved shortcut the includes the full path of the runtime executable and the appropriate mdw if there is security on the app? If not, it is liable to call the access executable, which would be for 2003.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access2000 runtime conflict with Access2003? (

Thanks Charlotte. I am not sure what you mean by "the event viewer for the error". The first message is the standard "Microsoft Access for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". Next is an "Error signature" error window, showing the appname (msaccess.exe), version (9.0.0.2719), modname (unknown) and offset (25896450). Finally there is an "Error Report Contents" window with details of the exception, showing it is a Code 0Xc0000005, and pointing to the error dump file, which is essentially a list of loaded DLLs and their details.

You ask about shortcuts. Yes, I start the runtime explicitly, using a shortcut created at installation time. As well as defining the runtime .exe, it defines the database and workgroup files to be used. The version number in the error message is that of the runtime executable module.

>>If the Access runtime was installed in its own directory, there shouldn't be any problem.
    Indeed! And that is our experience in the vast majority of cases. :-)

Geoffrey

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access2000 runtime conflict with Access2003? (

Open the Control Panel, select Administrative Tools, and then select Event Viewer. You'll probably find the error under Applications, and it will repeat whatever was shown in the details of the error dialog. I didn't know if there was any more useful information in the log, which is why I asked.

It should be possible to repair the 2000 runtime on their machine using the change option in Add/Remove Programs in the control panel, and that might be worth pursuing, since there appears to be damage of some sort. Was the Office 2003 installed before or after the Access runtime? If after, the runtime could have been damaged by the installation. If before, the problem may depend on where the runtime was installed and where the dlls it uses are installed. If you used the packaging wizard in the ODE to built the setup, the installer may have failed to install a dll because a later version already exists. That is the primary reason most people who build and distribute runtime Access apps use either Wise or InstallShield to build their packages.
    Charlotte