New Lounger
    Thanks

Add Network Share UNC to the Outlookbar (2003 SP1)

Hi All,

I have been asked to replace Public Folders with DFS (network shares).

My question is: How can i browse a Network Share (UNC) i.e. My_ServerMy_share from the Outlook bar. In the same way Public folders can be browsed....

I think it can be done via editing the Outlbar.inf - but haven't been able to get it to work....

any suggestions?

Many thanls
    Phil

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Add Network Share UNC to the Outlookbar (2003 SP1)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnBF on 12-Sep-05 08:42. )</P>In 2003 the Bar concept seems to have been replaced with a mix of the Explorer Pane and Shortcuts Pane. Quite a few people would be happy if you can show how to get to the old XP and prior Bar View. In Outlook 2003 two ways (I know of) to do what you want are:

1. Create a Shortcut to the UNC as <!post=here,376202>here<!/post>

2. Add the UNC to IE Favorites, and then Activate the Outlook Web ToolBar and add Favorites, and access the UNC via the Outlook Web Toolbar Favorites drop-down

If anyone has a better way please post it to this thread.

As to Public Folders, I understand that Server Admin can restrict them so few or no people have access to them, but I don't know the Server Admin side.

(Also, see the thread starting with <post#=459714>post 459714</post#>, where the Poster wanted to do the opposite of your goal).
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggetions....

i'm not too sure how to switch on the outlook web toolbar.

And the shortcut option opens up explorer outside of outlook, is there a way to keep it with outlook, similar to the Public folders navigation system?

The best solution i have found so far that works is to enable web-browsing on the root of the DFS share and set the users home-page to the web URL... -although this option works, its not very slick looking... and doesnt offer the functionality of opening explorer with oiutlook...

I think there must be a way, as it seems such a simple task....

will keep looking....

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

1. To show the Outlook Web TB, from the main Outlook menu, select View | Toolbars | Web. I don't remember is Favorites is on the Web TB by default, if it isn't you can drag it from View | Toolbars | Customize | Commands | Favorites.

2. Not that I know of.

3. Can you explain how to "enable web-browsing on the root of the DFS share"?

Perhaps you could use your technique of web-browsing of the DFS share root set for Home Page, along with a custom button that calls the first macro <!post=here,510192>here<!/post>? But I don't know how to get that to look like an Outlook interface replacement for Pub Folders.

Perhaps it can be also done by monkeying with the users' Outlook Today HTML page, which at the user level is set by right-clicking the MailBox, slect Properties | Home Page. But anything using that approach is way beyond my skill.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the quick reply...

Have the Web toolbar now.... dont think i can use this - users wouldn't go for it... [img]/forums/images/smilies/ohmy.gif[/img](

Sorry when i said home-page, i meant outlook today home page;

The DFS root is a shared folder - so to enable webshare i just right click on it.... and it can be browsed via the http://Server_Name/Share_Name