Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel Styles - Why Use them? (XP/2003)

I don't mean this to be rude or nasty.

I am asking for folks input as to if/why they use Excel styles, because in my Excel experience they are pretty much worthless. I used the search function on the Excel list and found little to justify their use.

If I want a cell to look a certain way, I'll use either conditional Formatting, the Format Painter, or code, but never a style.

Now, I'm also a Word user, and having created and edited manuals, I understand the value of Word styles and use them often. But Excel styles? I'm racking my brain to come up with a decent example. Help me loungers, please. You Excel style-users out there; when do you use them ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel Styles - Why Use them? (XP/2003)

Although I use styles less in Excel than in Word, I still find them useful, for roughly the same reasons as in Word:

- Consistency of formatting.
    - It's easy to apply a bunch of settings in one fell swoop.
    - Modifying a style will change formatting throughout the workbook.

Example: if you want to protect one or more worksheets, you have to unlock the cells that can be edited first. I often apply different formatting to unlocked cells, to make them easily distinguishable from locked cells. I have created an "Unlocked" style that will unlock cells and apply the special formatting. I find it more convenient to select cells and apply the "Unlocked" style than to use the Format Painter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel Styles - Why Use them? (XP/2003)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by AlanMiller on 13-Sep-05 13:44. And one more...)</P>I use styles to good effect, to identify rows in tables that a user should not be able to delete or modify e.g. the top header row, a separator row, a "major category" label. These "protected" styles can look different to the "normal" data records in the table, or may be indistinguishable in appearance.

I also find them useful from VBA. For instance, a dialog allows the user to append a new category name to a table. The user text is copied from the dialog to the appropriate cell, and the "Category" style is applied to that cell or range.

Alan

One more - useful for capturing, then restoring the formatting of a cell or range e.g. sometimes I alert the user to an error by making the "offending" cell blinking red. The user can click it to "turn off blinking", and the code reapplies the original captured style.