Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Norton Anti-Virus 2001 email protection

Office XP was only just released, so I wouldn't be surprised if Norton soon releases either a new AV version or a patch to handle it.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

NAV 2001 works OK on my system. My O/S is WinME rather than Win2K. When I installed XP it copied the e-mail account from Outlook 2000 properly and incoming e-mail goes via NAV for scanning. The virus scan is also working normally on the other office applications.

Tony

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

you had a clean install of office, rather than upgrading over 2000? that's likely where the problem is. During office beta teasting, it always asked me to enable my accounts for scanning, when a pop account was present before installing NAV. So it is supposed to work with it.

Can you set up the scanner manually?

FWIW, i don't use email scanning on any of my accounts, i have NAV on autoprotect. with outlook's increased security, i'm protected by outlook before i try anything and NAV catches things if i try to save them.

g3tja

Thanks, Mary. That's most informative. So would you say (confirm) that in effect I won't benefit from NAV scanning my mail before it reaches the Outlook 2002 inbox?

I shall be interested to see what Norton say, though. I have had several 'failed to respond' messages with Outlook 2002, so I think I will delete and reinstall over 2000 in any case. Then I can hopefully choose whether or not to have NAV email protect on.

By the way, I have always used Norton wiith Full Protection.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

the only real benefit is that you are notified if any viruses are present as the mail arrives. if you don't use it, you only find out if you try to open attachments or view mail in the internet zone.

To use internet zone, open an html message and look on it's view menu. it was added for active stationery users but would allow things like kak to run. NAV's autoprotect will catch it at that point. Normally, you won't use that menu except to view active stationery.

g3tja

Mary: Thanks again -- you certainly have your finger on the pulse!

I've been through the process yet again, this time installing Office XP over Office 2000 with an email account protected by NAV 2001. It works, like you said!

I take your point about being better protected by XP in any case, but having shelled out $$$ on NAV, and also showing clients the thing in action (they may not be using the same configuration as mine or yours) it's still impressive to see that orange envelope icon at work in the system tray.

New readers should bear in mind that it certainly is advisable to have NAV 2001 email protection for (say) a configuration Office 2000 or earlier and Win Me or earlier ...

Nevertheless, Norton should come out with a fix which makes their stuff work with a clean install of Office XP/|Win 2000. No doubt they will.

The reason I didn't try this in the first place is that ISTR the conventional wisdom from Woody and others was that a clean install where possible was preferable.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Right, a clean install is always better.

There's certainly nothing wrong with using email protection either, it's like adding another deadbolt to your front door - it may not be needed, but it gives you more peace of mind.

NAV 2002 will probably be released in a couple of months or so, i'm not sure if live update does anything for the email protection now or will before the next version is released.

g3tja

Thanks, Mary. I guess that about clears up my current problems. Thanks for your view on the next version of NAV being available in a couple of months -- though I won't quote you (!)

g3tja

Norton Anti-Virus 2001 email protection (XP)

Hi everyone

I