3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot define field more than once (2000)

I am getting a 'Cannot define field more than once' message when I try to add a field to a table, even though the field does not exist in the table.
    Can anybody advise?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot define field more than once (2000)

Could you provide a bit more information? What kind of field is it, what datatype, and how are you trying to add it?
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I had to run to catch a train yesterday (which I missed) so my original post was a bit brief.
    The field is an integer number that I am trying to add to the design master of a replica set. I thought I had added the field (by hand, using the design grid) so I closed the design master, opened the main replica that all the other replicas synchronise with, and synchronised this replica with the design master. After synchronising the new field did not appear in the replica, so I synchronised again. And again. I synchronised several times, each time making sure that the replica was synchronising with the design master and not with another member of the replica set (I have a vague memory that you need to synchronise more than once to propagate design changes??).

However, the field still did not appear in the replica. So I went back to the design master and found that it wasn't there either. Thinking that I had not added it in the first place I tried to add it again. This time I got the 'Cannot define field more than once' message. The field is not there in the design grid, but I cannot add it. I have tried compact and repair and a reboot, but I still cannot add the field.

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you tried turning on the viewing of system objects - you might be able to see it then. Another approach would be to use DAO to enumerate the Fields collection of the selected table. Is your field indexed in any way - and hopefully you aren't trying to make it the primary key, as that usually causes trouble.
    Wendell