5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copy/Paste error (2003)

One of our employees asked for my help with this. And, I'm stumped. We have a workbook that contains a link to a website. The link takes the user to a website where he/she copies and then pastes data back into the workbook. This is a process they have done for over a year successfully. Works fine on 5 out of 6 computers. On the 6th computer, using the same file, not a copy, when the user pastes the data, Excel returns an error saying the paste range is not the same as the copy range. It won't paste the data. This process has never worked on this PC. I would expect this error on all PCs since there is a merged cell involved. But, it doesn't cause a problem in the other PCs, just one.

I can't recreate the problem on any other computer in the area. So, it must be a setting in Excel, right? I compared the Tools/Options settings between one of the PCs that works and the one that doesn't. I can't find anything different.

What else would you suggest could be the problem?

Thanks

Re: Copy/Paste error (2003)

Does the 6th user have more than 1 cell selected to copy?

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is the same user on the 5th and 6th PC, and she selects the data exactly the same way. The first cell is a merged cell A4:A6. The other cells are individual, A5, B5, C5.. down to row 10. She selects the first cell (the merged one) and then drags down and over to the last cell so the entire range is selected. Copies. Opens workbook. Clicks in cell A5. Pastes. I watched her do it the same way on both PCs. I would send you the file, but I don't have it with me, and I'm at home right now.

Thanks

Are they all the same XL versions on all the computers?

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've run into difficulties trying to copy/paste when there are merged cells. Is it possible that there is a difference in the destination sheets between PC5 and PC6.? ie is the merged-cell pattern exactly the same as the source sheet in ALL cases?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, all Excel versions are the same. There is no difference in the sheets between the 2 PCs because it is the same sheet. The same file. Just opened on one or the other of the PCs from a network location. Is there some setting in Excel or in the registry that controls whether or not data can be copied into merged cells? I compared both PC5 and PC6's tools/options, and they are exactly the same. Maybe I should just reinstall Office on PC6.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copy/Paste error (2003)-Solved!

I figured it out! The errant PC was using FireFox as the browser. The others were all using IE. Once I switched it to IE, it worked great. I'm not sure why.. maybe something to do with how the broswer displays table objects. But, it's fixed. Thanks for all your ideas. I thought you'd like to hear the end of the story.