5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Backdoor.Graybird Trojan

Each time I start my computer, Norton Antivirus 2005 notifies me that it has found the backdoor.graybird trojan and has deleted the file. Then when the computer finishes the startup, another Norton window comes up saying that it has repaired about 19 items involving the backdoor.graybird trojan. I have checked Symantec for information and followed all of their recommendations. But each time I restart the computer, I get these two Norton notices. Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Backdoor.Graybird Trojan

According to this newsgroup thread and some others, there is a conflict between the latest updates of NAV and SpySweeper. NAV is detecting a temporary file created by SpySweeper as a Trojan - a false positive. The problem should be solved in the next NAV update.

Thanks

Many malware have a "keep alive" or "reinstall" process either triggered at startup or kept running in memory. Try one of the programs that inspects your startup items, such as Sysinternals Autoruns, and also try other AV scanners, such as Trend Micro Housecall, to see if they can spot the other process. Also consider spyware scans, just in case.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I do have Spy Sweeper and after reading the threads, it sounds like there is a conflict between Symantec and SpySweeper. I will just be patient. Thanks for your help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem has gone away - obviously Norton updated its definitions and cleared up the issue. Thanks.