2 Star Lounger
    New York, New York, USA

Malicious Script - Keeps Returning

NAV (as part of Norton Internet Security 2005) has started popping up messages "Malicious script detected" almost every time I run my computer. The Object is the FileSystem Object, the activity is OpenTextFile and the File is Agent.exe. I then stop the script. But the next day the same message is back.
    How can I find and delete this script? Running NAV, Spybot Search and Destroy and even Webroot Spy Sweeper don't come up with any such problems. The programs are up to date.
    My system is XP Professional SP 1.
    Thanks in advance.

3 Star Lounger
    Saco, Maine, USA

Re: Malicious Script - Keeps Returning

Here's what I found about agent.exe. Most likely, Norton is reacting to a legitimate file, so it's probably safe to allow the script to run when it wants -- if you have any of the following programs installed. There is also an agent.exe that's part of UAgent, which is adware. You might want to do a thorough scan with AdAware first -- before permanently denying the script through Norton -- to see if the Uagent malware is present. Anyway, there are legitimate "agent.exe" files out there.

Process File: agent.exe
    Process Name: Acronis True Image Agent

Note: agent.exe is also a process from Dell that gives the
    user an interface to monitor and administer the system. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling this is down to user preference.

Note: agent.exe is also a process associated with the Forte Agent Newsgroup reader, this is a is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.