Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Yet another XP curiosity (XP Home SP2)

Using the Help facility I found instructions for "grantng incoming connection access rights to your computer". The procedure says to open Network Connections and click on "Incoming connections." However, when I open Network Connections there is no Incoming Connections to click on!

Am I missing something here, or have they changed XP or what?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Yet another XP curiosity (XP Home SP2)

I'm not sure what you are trying to do.

Have you created any incoming connections to your computer? Presumably this would be a VPN or Modem configuration of some sort. If you haven't created any then why would you expect one to be visible or want to control what access rights it had?

StuartR

Edited to add
    For more background information about incoming connections see the following Help article...

<big>Incoming connections</big>
    By creating an incoming connection, a computer can act as a remote access server if it is running Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional, or Windows XP Home Edition, or if it is a stand-alone computer running Windows 2000 Server. You can configure an incoming connection to accept the following connection types: dial-up (modem, ISDN, X.25), virtual private network (VPN) (PPTP, L2TP), or direct (serial, infrared). On a computer running Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Home Edition, or Windows XP Professional, an incoming connection can accept up to three incoming calls, up to one of each of these types.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart,

The incoming connection I'm tring to setup is simply my wife's computer which is on our LAN (consisting of two computers hooked to the same router). For some reason, after installing a new router, I discovered that the backup program I had on my wife's computer could no longer write to a shared folder on my machine. In fact, her computer finds "access denied" with any operation that attempts to write to my computer. I still have file sharing turned on, etc. just like before, but her machine can't access. I can initiate a transfer from my machine that copies a file from her machine to mine, but can't do it if I initiate it from hers.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck,

I'm afraid the "Incoming Connections" you have found in help are something completely different.

You simply need to ensure that you are using a valid username and password and that the account has been granted access to the network share and to the files and folders. The link that Joe gave you should have instructions on how to do this.

StuartR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I tried Joe's link, and digging down into the thread I found instructions for setting permissions on a shared folder. HOWEVER, those instructions were supposed to bring up a 'shared folder" dialog box that had a Security tab at the top. Mine doesn't have the security tab at all!

I still believe that this problem is related to an earlier reported problem with being denied access to certain folders on my computer. Specifically, although logged with administrator previledges, I get the following message when I try to access the following folders:

Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersDocuments (which is where my original shared folder resides, but now cannot access)

Cocument and SettingsAdministrator

So, here I am as the administrator, and I am denied access to the folder labeled "Administrator." It looks to me like something very wierd has occurred with my computer. No one seems to have an answer to this access problem. This only started up recently. As best as I can remember it started about the time I replaced my old wired router, but I'm not absolutely positive about that.

I would sure like to find out what is going on here.

Administrator
    Thanks

I'm not sure if the Security tab is in XP Home. I do know that you must also have an NTFS file system. It will not show for FAT32.

You're saying you are logged on as a user with administrative rights but not logged on as the builtin Administrator user, correct? Being logged in as a user with administrative privileges is NOT the same as being logged in as the builtin Administrative user. There are certain functions that can only be done as the builtin Admin user. If you wish to login as that user try booting to safe mode. That should allow you to login as 'administrator'. Most of the time that account has a blank password.
    That should allow you full and unfettered access to all folders on the system. You can also set permissions on folders (if you are using NTFS).

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

On my XP Home systems, the "Sharing" tab appears on ALL drives and folders including my external USB drive which is FAT32 the internal drives are NTFS. Also note that even all sub folders have this tab in "Properties".

Chuck,
    Did you rebuild this hard drive a while back, if not maybe it is time that you start from scratch.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks

Dave,

Chuck said 'Security' not 'Sharing' tab. On my XP Pro systems the Security tab is always there. All the systems are NTFS. I think that NTFS is a requirement for the features that this tab exposes. I don't have an XP Home system to check but I think if you go into safe mode as the Adminisitrator user you have access to the Security tab (once again only for NTFS based systems).

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP Home (with NTFS) in "normal" mode does not display a Security tab, only a Sharing tab.

Administrator
    Thanks

Yes, I understand that. I think you can get to it in safe mode. But, I don't have an XP Home system to check.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The puzzlement continues. I am using NTFS if that makes any difference. As mentioned before, and to my surprise, I find that I have two types of administrator accounts -- one limited and one not. The latter account (I term Super-Admin) is only available in the Safe Mode. The other is my usual Admin account and it is available in both regular and safe mode. Also, even though the super-admin can change folder properties, those changes don't propogate to any other accounts!

When in the Super-Admin account I can access these folders:

Cocuments and SettingsAdministrator
    Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersDocuments

While in the Super-Admin account I went to Properties for the above Documents folder. It has tabs for sharing and security. I set it to shared with full access permissions (at lleast I think I did, I'm not sure how to go about the security settings, as I lack any documentaion on it). Anyway, the Docments folder icon shows it as a shared folder.

After performing the above, I return to my usual Admin account. Lo and behold, the Documents folder shows up as shared, BUT I get the infamous "Access Denied" message if I try to open it.

I find this whole thing both alarming, confusing, and so far as I can find out not documented. Anyone know where this whole super-admin thing with security settings is documented? Also, any help with the above problem is appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks

Chuck,

Try this TweakHound - XP Home Permissions 1. It has other links you need to read plus information on setting permissions. You can also read a lot with the links at security permissions "windows xp home" site:support.microsoft.com - Google Search.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When you share a folder and set the access permissions for the share to Full Access for Everyone, this only enables incoming network access to that share, it does not grant any access to the folders and files that you have shared. You also need to change the permissions on these if you want to access them.

Just to avoid confusion...
    <UL><LI>If the files and folders do not allow access then no-one can access them
    <LI>If the files and folders allow access then local users can access them
    <LI>If the share does not allow access then no can access the files and folders via the network
    <LI>If the share allows access then users who are allowed local access to the files and folders can access them via the network.[/list]StuartR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

To continue with this saga I went to the link you recommended and further went to the following link on that page.

Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP (Q304040)

The above link highly recommends that one uses the Simple File Sharing option. The instructions were to go to My Computer, Tools, Options, View and click on the box labeled Simple File Sharing.

HOWEVER, my computer doesn't have a box labeled Simple File Sharing in the View menu!!!

Failing that I tried the "Best Method" on the link you provided. I went to Run and entered SHRPUBW. First off, I didn't get the Create Shared Folder window -- I got the Create Shared Folder Wizard. Following on with the Wizard I tried to set up the aforementioned "Documents" folder as shared, and I gave it the share name "Documents". But it said that that name was already used so I gave it another name. The next window is where you set up the type of sharing. The sample screen on the above link shows the first option as "All users have full control". HOWEVER, my first option is "All users have read only access." There is no full access options!!!

These are the kinds of things I've been running into lately where I sometimes wonder if I'm running some strange version of XP Home unlike any others. I try to follow instructions from Microsoft's knowledge base, but my system doesn't work the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast