2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Debugger error messages (2003 (11.6502.6408) SP1)

A friend sent me the following request for help, which I cannot answer. Can you help?
    Diane
    -------------------------
    Word 2003 is locking up on me.

Yesterday, was the first time that it happened, after I had downloaded a Word file that an associate had sent to me. My whole computer locked up and after trying everything else, the only solution was a hard reboot.

I ran ad-aware and discovered that I had two tracking cookies, which I deleted. I ran SpyBot and it found nothing.

Then today, from Windows Explorer, I selected a Word document and opened it. All went well. I closed the Word document. Later I went to close Word and it would not let me. Instead I got this message.

"This program cannot be closed. If it is being debugged, please resume it or close the de###### first."

How do I close the de######?

So, I decided to open a different Word file from Windows Explorer and I got a different error message, which was:

"Compile error in hidden module: MainModule"

I have looked on the Word Menu for a de###### and found nothing. I don't have a clue as to what is going on.

My system is a W2K system with 512 MB RAM and I am running Office 2003 -- -- Office Word 2003 (11.6502.6408) SP 1.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Debugger error messages (2003 (11.6502.6408) SP1)

Does your friend have the Adobe add-in pdfmaker.dot installed? This is known to cause all kinds of problems. If so, it's best to uninstall it; documents can still be converted to PDF by printing them to the pdf "printer".

Does your friend have Norton Anti Virus? If so, the Office Plugin may be the culprit. It can be turned off without compromising security in the Miscellaneous section of Options.

If neither helps, point your friend to Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Hans!

I do not know the answers to your questions. I will send this link to my friend and suggest she register so she can respond directly.

Thanks so much for your response.

Diane

New Lounger
    Thanks

Good Morning Hans,

I am Diane's friend. To answer your question, I have Adobe Acrobat version 6 installed but I do not have Norton and anything with the Symantec label installed on my computer.

This problem does not occur with every word file that open, just some. It occurred again a couple of days ago and nothing would work except doing a soft reboot. Not even cont-alt-delete and using the task manager would let me close Word. Bummer.

I did a search on pdfmaker.dot and discovered that I had four Word files with that name. Here is the information in terms of where this information is located.

D:ProgramsAdobePDFMaker 162 KB 11-3-2003
    D:ProgramsMicrosoft Office 2003Office11Startup 162 KB 11-3-2003
    D:ProgramsMicrosoft Office Pro 2003Office11Startup 162 KB 5-15-2003
    D:ProgramsOffice XPOffice 10Startup 162 KB 11-3-2003

What are these files? Now, what do I do? Could you please explain to me what is actually going on?

BTW, I use Panda Platinum. If you need any other information, let me know.

Cheers,

Linda

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Linda

I haven't encountered this problem personally, but these articles may help with explanation/ solution:

Lose that Adobe Acrobat Toolbar
    Microsoft Office Assistance: Adobe PDFMaker Error Message
    Can you help fix this problem in MS Word 2003? | Ask MetaFilter

At least you're not alone on this issue!

Alan

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Alan. I will check out the links that you have provided.

I have had Office Pro 2003 installed since 2003 and Word 2003 is an application that I use all of the time. I installed Adobe Acrobat, version 6 in 2003 also, yet I have not encountered any of these lockup problems until about a month ago.

Cheers,

Linda

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Debugger error messages (2003 (11.6502.6408) S

Hi Linda:
    I would try renaming the extensions or moving the templates that you list out of the startup folders. Hans mentioned in <post#=518,641>post 518,641</post: >, where you can find instructions on how to do so. I also suspect that the document that your associate sent contains macros. A problem with the macro could activate the de######. Make a copy of the document & remove any macros. You can open the copy, press Alt+F11 to open the VBE (Visual Basic Editor) & stop the de######. Then go to the organizer & delete any modules in the document.

Tracking cookies generally come from a website that you've visited or a download. I would take a look at <post#=407306>post 407306</post: > & <post#=385669>post 385669</post: > for information on how to keep your computer free of spyware.

One other thing. You might also go to Bill Coan's website & download his hidden file detector. It's possible that the document that you have is attempting to send out information, by using fields.
    Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

See here

The problem has been identified and Microsoft is working on it according to the URL above. It seems that either W2K SP 4 or Office Pro 2003 SP 2, did not include the code for saving to a floppy disk directly. The work around is to save it to the hard drive and then go to Windows Explorer and do a drag and drop onto the floppy drive. Supposedly or at least according to the URL above, this problem does not occur if you are using XP.

I learned something very important here and that is if you are getting a de###### problem in any Microsoft product, then that means either there is a coding error or coding conflict with another program.

I ran W2K since January 2002 and Office 2003 since November 2002 and did not start to have any problems until August 2005. From the new Windows Update 3.1, I learned that I had installed W2K SP 4 on July 13, 2005 and Office Pro 2003 SP 2 on October 11, 2005. I had my first problems in September 2005. In any case, Microsoft has confirmed that it is a problem and they are working on a fix.

Thanks everybody for all of your advice and assistance.

Cheers,

Linda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the update.

Frankly, I don't think it's a good idea to save directly to floppy disk from any MS Office program, I would always save to hard disk (or a network disk) first, then use Windows Explorer to copy the file to a diskette.

New Lounger
    Thanks

All of the office programs are designed so that I can save to any of the internal drives or to an external hard drive or to a floppy. Since 1994, this is the way that the user interface has worked.

BTW, I always use the "save as" command to save to my hard drive, then in the past do another save command to save to the floppy.

Opening Windows Explorer is just another unnecessary step IMO, but one that I will be taking until MS gets the problem fixed.

Linda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Saving directly to a floppy disk causes a number of other issues / problems / features, as well as the one you have discovered.

For example, when you log in windows attempts to locate the documents in your Recently Used Documents list (Start > My Recent Documents) if one of these is on a floppy (or other removable drive) then this causes a significant delay.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

Microsoft has just posted the fix to W2K for download. Here is the description of the fix.

Install this update to resolve an issue in which Microsoft Office programs may stop responding when you try to save new files to a floppy disk drive after installing Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 Service Pack 4. After you install this update, you may have to restart your computer.

More information for this update can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/kb904368

Cheers,

Linda