Lounger
    Thanks

Converting 97 to 2K and Utility.mda

Would anyone care to explain, why removing the reference to Utility.mda stops the error messages when an Access 97 database is converted to Access 2000?

Thanks kindly in advance

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Converting 97 to 2K and Utility.mda

All I can suggest is that, since you don't *need* a reference to Utility.mda (it's an add-in after all), there was an internal conflict. If you gave us some idea of what the error messages were, you might get a more precise answer.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Charlotte,

Here's exactly what I'm referring to. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q225/9/46.ASP>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q225/9/46.ASP</A> I have SR1/SR1a installed, yet had this "minor" problem with several databases when converting. They worked fine in Access 97, there were no compilation errors in 97, nor any references to Utility.MDA. I'm done with the conversion now, but thought I would ask about the Utility.MDA anyway.

Thanks for responding.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

All I can tell you is that I haven't run into this problem with any of my conversions.

As I understand it, you got an error when you converted the database and when you looked at the 2000 version, it had a reference set to Utility.mda, is that right? The only thing I can think of is that it was trying to handle a function that only lived in the prior version Utility.mda and couldn't do so. Had you compiled the 97 version before you tried to convert it?

I did run into a few databases that wouldn't convert directly, and when I imported the objects into a new 2000 database, I discovered code that wouldn't compile under 2000. In every case, I was left scratching my head and wondering why it compiled in *97*, since it was clearly a problem. It seems that the compiler in 2000 is far more thorough than the earlier version, so I learned to be grateful for those items that had slipped through before--they made me clean up errors I hadn't realized existed.
    Charlotte