Star Lounger
    Thanks

presario 1247 notebook cdrom

My wifes sister gave my daughter her Presario 1247 notebook. When we put a cd in (data or audio) nothing happens. If we try and open the drive in explorer, it says there is no media in the drive. We don't hear anything spinning either.

Is this a removable drive? If so, how do you remove it and plug it back in?

What else should I look at?

This is win 98 SE.

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: presario 1247 notebook cdrom

I have no experience with the Presario, but on the laptops I am familiar with, there should (might) be a latch on the underside of the computer that allows one to remove the drive. Be sure it's powered OFF first. If there's no latch, I'm afraid you need to Google for some manuals on that model. When you look in Device Manager, (or, as you said, with Explorer) does it recognize that a drive is there and indicate that the drive is "working" properly? That kind of seemingly contradictory message could indicate that the device HAS gone belly-up.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, it sees a drive in explorer. I think it's there in the device manager as well.

I'm also leaning towards it being belly up as well. Did not have much luck looking for a manual. Will try again.

'lil John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I guess I was off on a hunt with Google at the same time you were. I also didn't find any manuals per se, but I did find one place where there were several pictures and it looks to me like it requires "surgery" to do much of anything with the underbelly of that model. I'll keep looking...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I may go to the HP/Compaq website and chat with a tech and see what they have to say. That would be either tonight or some other night.

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

These devices are not "removable" by the user, if you really want to get the drive out then the basic steps are...
    <UL><LI>Remove the battery
    <LI>Use a screwdriver to remove the cover for the memory / mini-PCI
    <LI>Remove the screw that holds the CD drive to the laptop
    <LI>Use a paperclip or similar to eject the drive tray
    <LI>Pull the drive towards you to slide it out[/list]Some of these steps are not risk free, and you may be better off taking the faulty laptop to a qualified service technician.

StuartR