3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge (Word 2002)

Presently sending out mail merged documents to hundreds of clients. The data is stored in either Excel or Access.

What I have thought of is assigning each client in the db a number (1 to 500) and then print the number in the footer of the last page. The users would then be able to see what the last document was printed. (Reason for doing so below.)

Is this a logical approach or is there a better method?

The reason for doing so is that at times a printer will jam and documents stop printing and user will need to continue printing from the last document that was fully printed. For example, let's assume that the printer jammed at 350 of 500 documents. The user then wants to restart the printing at 351 to complete the run.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge (Word 2002)

You can also place a MERGEREC field in the document. This will number the merged records. The advantage is that you don't have to modify the data source.

I have found it advisable to perform large print runs in batches, e.g. 1-100, 101-200, etc.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge (Word 2002)

First, I agree about the size of large batch runs. Sometimes you just can't convince users until things mess up.

The mergerec does the job. Thank you.